From: Nick on

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:25:26 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, RnR
<rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>One of my biggest gripes too was having to give up some of my
>favorite software like forte agent which while they say works in win 7
>if you read the fine print, they don't support it in 64bit and I found
>out why. It's one of those software that's not truly 64bit. Oh well
>such is the learning curve .....

Huh?

First I've heard about Forte Agent having problems with 64-bit Windows 7.
Agent was one of the very first programs I moved to this computer after it
arrived, and it's been running flawlessly for a little over four months
since then.

(Looking at the headers of some of your older posts here, you were using the
same version of Agent I'm using, but with a slightly older build number.)

Agent may not be a 64-bit program, but what's that got to do with anything?
Large numbers of 32-bit programs run just fine on 64-bit versions of
Windows. If they didn't, there'd be a few million people screaming bloody
murder...

If you did have problems and Forte didn't help, did you try asking in the
Agent newsgroup? I haven't hung around there for a while, but there used to
some very helpful and knowledgeable people active there.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.
From: Justin on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 05:13:42 +0100, Mark Opolo wrote:

> "Justin" <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.org> wrote in message
delegated.example.com...
>> In article <c17l369dr1e4ti2cipbo5iat1a0d71m4hd(a)4ax.com>, RnR(a)void.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering any thoughts on the 1564 I3 2.13GHz with win 7 home
>>> premium and 4gigs ram?
>>
>> A great philosopher once told me not to get a product I'm unfamiliar
>> with off eBay.
>

> especially Bluetooth parts

Unless of course the Magical Muto is around to give everyone the
appropriate drivers.
From: RnR on
Nick <tanstaafl(a)pobox.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:25:26 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, RnR
> <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>One of my biggest gripes too was having to give up some of my
>>favorite software like forte agent which while they say works in win 7
>>if you read the fine print, they don't support it in 64bit and I found
>>out why. It's one of those software that's not truly 64bit. Oh well
>>such is the learning curve .....
>
> Huh?
>
> First I've heard about Forte Agent having problems with 64-bit Windows
> 7. Agent was one of the very first programs I moved to this computer
> after it arrived, and it's been running flawlessly for a little over
> four months since then.
>
> (Looking at the headers of some of your older posts here, you were
> using the same version of Agent I'm using, but with a slightly older
> build number.)
>
> Agent may not be a 64-bit program, but what's that got to do with
> anything? Large numbers of 32-bit programs run just fine on 64-bit
> versions of Windows. If they didn't, there'd be a few million people
> screaming bloody murder...
>
> If you did have problems and Forte didn't help, did you try asking in
> the Agent newsgroup? I haven't hung around there for a while, but
> there used to some very helpful and knowledgeable people active there.

I was having inconsistent problems with pulling headers. I thought it
might be my firewall, etc. but that wasn't the culprit in my case. When
I did more checking, Forte does not support 64bit so I figured they must
have a reason and so I wrote off Agent for the moment. Don't get me
wrong, I like Agent but just not right now. Maybe I need a later
build?? Maybe it's another program I installed too clashing with it??
Appreciate your feedback Nick on this so it gives me hope <grin>. I
know I can make it work in other ways just not the way I want right now.
I'll give it more thought what I want to do. Thanks again.
From: someone on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:16:13 -0500, RnR <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Nick <tanstaafl(a)pobox.com> wrote in
>

>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:25:26 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, RnR
>> <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>One of my biggest gripes too was having to give up some of my
>>>favorite software like forte agent which while they say works in win 7
>>>if you read the fine print, they don't support it in 64bit and I found
>>>out why. It's one of those software that's not truly 64bit. Oh well
>>>such is the learning curve .....
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> First I've heard about Forte Agent having problems with 64-bit Windows
>> 7. Agent was one of the very first programs I moved to this computer
>> after it arrived, and it's been running flawlessly for a little over
>> four months since then.
>>
>> (Looking at the headers of some of your older posts here, you were
>> using the same version of Agent I'm using, but with a slightly older
>> build number.)
>>
>> Agent may not be a 64-bit program, but what's that got to do with
>> anything? Large numbers of 32-bit programs run just fine on 64-bit
>> versions of Windows. If they didn't, there'd be a few million people
>> screaming bloody murder...
>>
>> If you did have problems and Forte didn't help, did you try asking in
>> the Agent newsgroup? I haven't hung around there for a while, but
>> there used to some very helpful and knowledgeable people active there.
>>

>I was having inconsistent problems with pulling headers. I thought it
>might be my firewall, etc. but that wasn't the culprit in my case. When
>I did more checking, Forte does not support 64bit so I figured they must
>have a reason and so I wrote off Agent for the moment. Don't get me
>wrong, I like Agent but just not right now. Maybe I need a later
>build?? Maybe it's another program I installed too clashing with it??
>Appreciate your feedback Nick on this so it gives me hope <grin>. I
>know I can make it work in other ways just not the way I want right now.
>I'll give it more thought what I want to do. Thanks again.

No issues with agent on my system
Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
Dell XPS420
Agent 5.00/32.1171

John
From: RnR on
In article <j9s146pt543sm2cce03v429r5neo0gg94g(a)4ax.com>,
someone(a)somewhere.com says...

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:16:13 -0500, RnR <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Nick <tanstaafl(a)pobox.com> wrote in

> >> Huh?
> >>
> >> First I've heard about Forte Agent having problems with 64-bit Windows
> >> 7. Agent was one of the very first programs I moved to this computer
> >> after it arrived, and it's been running flawlessly for a little over
> >> four months since then.
> >>
> >> (Looking at the headers of some of your older posts here, you were
> >> using the same version of Agent I'm using, but with a slightly older
> >> build number.)
> >>
> >> Agent may not be a 64-bit program, but what's that got to do with
> >> anything? Large numbers of 32-bit programs run just fine on 64-bit
> >> versions of Windows. If they didn't, there'd be a few million people
> >> screaming bloody murder...
> >>
> >> If you did have problems and Forte didn't help, did you try asking in
> >> the Agent newsgroup? I haven't hung around there for a while, but
> >> there used to some very helpful and knowledgeable people active there.
> >>

> >I was having inconsistent problems with pulling headers. I thought it
> >might be my firewall, etc. but that wasn't the culprit in my case. When
> >I did more checking, Forte does not support 64bit so I figured they must
> >have a reason and so I wrote off Agent for the moment. Don't get me
> >wrong, I like Agent but just not right now. Maybe I need a later
> >build?? Maybe it's another program I installed too clashing with it??
> >Appreciate your feedback Nick on this so it gives me hope <grin>. I
> >know I can make it work in other ways just not the way I want right now.
> >I'll give it more thought what I want to do. Thanks again.
>

> No issues with agent on my system

You're lucky and I'm not. I installed the trial version of agent 6 (the
way Agent suggests in their FAQ) on a virgin vmware OS of win 7 (x64)
home premium only (nothing else) and after the initial download of
headers, it stops on the subsequent download of headers. It sees the
number of new headers but just stops before downloading them. I think
at this point, rather than emailing Forte and tweaking, I'll just resort
to another reader. If I'm in the mood, I'll play around with Agent
within vmware. It's easy and safe to do it this way.