From: Bob Martin on
in 47047 20100306 041016 "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:35:48 -0500, John Varela <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> This needs to be a high reliability installation system, because it
>> appears that if the Win 7 partition is screwed there is no way to
>> recover.
>
>If there's enough ram, and the system is fast enough, I'd run linux
>under VirtualBox. No risk of making the system unbootable.
>
>Either that, or temporarily transfer the hard drive to a computer
>that can boot from dvd, for the install.

I second the Virtual Box approach.
From: Gernot Fink on
In article <7vdtc3Fh9fU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
"John Varela" <newlamps(a)verizon.net> writes:

> I just bought a Samsung N150 netbook with the idea of installing
> Linux on it.

Dont waste your time with virtual Linux on an slow netbook.

I never saw a netbook which dont boot from usb.
Try ubuntu netbook remix and be sure you write the image with an
imagwritersoftware to the card or stick.
Simple copying the file dont work.

You can also try to boot from a SD card in the cardreader.

Press the button for bootmeu after switching on.

--
MFG Gernot
From: John Varela on
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 04:15:48 UTC, Michael Black <et472(a)ncf.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 2010, John Varela wrote:
>
> > I run an iMac and, within that, OS/2 (as you can see from my
> > headers).
> >
> > I just bought a Samsung N150 netbook with the idea of installing
> > Linux on it.
> >
> > This computer has no CD drive and will not boot from a USB source. I
> > have been into the BIOS set-up and it will ONLY boot from the hard
> > drive.
> >
> That seems unlikely.

But true. In the BIOS set-up for boot sequence, the top item is "USB
CD (N/A)". The help says "<Shift + 1> enables or disables a
device". It doesn't. <Shift + 1> just makes a beep.

> Try plugging a USB device into the netbook, see
> if booting from USB becomes an option then.

It doesn't.

But thanks for the suggestions.

--
John Varela

From: John Varela on
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 08:53:34 UTC, g.fink(a)gmx.net (Gernot Fink) wrote:

> In article <7vdtc3Fh9fU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> "John Varela" <newlamps(a)verizon.net> writes:
> >
> > I just bought a Samsung N150 netbook with the idea of installing
> > Linux on it.
> >
> Dont waste your time with virtual Linux on an slow netbook.
>
> I never saw a netbook which dont boot from usb.
> Try ubuntu netbook remix and be sure you write the image with an
> imagwritersoftware to the card or stick.
> Simple copying the file dont work.
>
> You can also try to boot from a SD card in the cardreader.

An SD card in the card reader and the WUBI program did the trick.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
John Varela wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 04:15:48 UTC, Michael Black <et472(a)ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 6 Mar 2010, John Varela wrote:
>>
>>> I run an iMac and, within that, OS/2 (as you can see from my
>>> headers).
>>>
>>> I just bought a Samsung N150 netbook with the idea of installing
>>> Linux on it.
>>>
>>> This computer has no CD drive and will not boot from a USB source. I
>>> have been into the BIOS set-up and it will ONLY boot from the hard
>>> drive.
>>>
>> That seems unlikely.
>
> But true. In the BIOS set-up for boot sequence, the top item is "USB
> CD (N/A)". The help says "<Shift + 1> enables or disables a
> device". It doesn't. <Shift + 1> just makes a beep.
>
>> Try plugging a USB device into the netbook, see
>> if booting from USB becomes an option then.
>
> It doesn't.
>
> But thanks for the suggestions.

no net boot?

That's how I got one ghastly laptop to load..

Not sure that at least debian didn't have a DOS installer once..

try looking at the install DVD..