From: John Varela on
I run an iMac and, within that, OS/2 (as you can see from my
headers).

I just bought a Samsung N150 netbook with the idea of installing
Linux on it.

This computer has no CD drive and will not boot from a USB source. I
have been into the BIOS set-up and it will ONLY boot from the hard
drive.

I've tried Googling and can't seem to formulate a query that finds
anything useful, so I come to this group to ask:

Is there a Linux distribution that can install by launching the
set-up from Windows 7?

Preferably Linux would reside in a separate partition and allow
booting into either Win 7 or Linux.

This needs to be a high reliability installation system, because it
appears that if the Win 7 partition is screwed there is no way to
recover.

--
John Varela

From: Bill Marcum on
On 2010-03-06, John Varela <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> I run an iMac and, within that, OS/2 (as you can see from my
> headers).
>
> I just bought a Samsung N150 netbook with the idea of installing
> Linux on it.
>
> This computer has no CD drive and will not boot from a USB source. I
> have been into the BIOS set-up and it will ONLY boot from the hard
> drive.
>
> I've tried Googling and can't seem to formulate a query that finds
> anything useful, so I come to this group to ask:
>
> Is there a Linux distribution that can install by launching the
> set-up from Windows 7?

I don't know exactly how that Ubuntu Wubi works, but it might be a
possibility. Or you could put the hard drive into another computer and
install Linux (that might void the warranty).

From: Lew Pitcher on
On Mar 5, 10:17 pm, Bill Marcum <marcumb...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On 2010-03-06, John Varela <newla...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > I run an iMac and, within that, OS/2 (as you can see from my
> > headers).
>
> > I just bought a Samsung N150 netbook with the idea of installing
> > Linux on it.
>
> > This computer has no CD drive and will not boot from a USB source. I
> > have been into the BIOS set-up and it will ONLY boot from the hard
> > drive.
>
> > I've tried Googling and can't seem to formulate a query that finds
> > anything useful, so I come to this group to ask:
>
> > Is there a Linux distribution that can install by launching the
> > set-up from Windows 7?
>
> I don't know exactly how that Ubuntu Wubi works, but it might be a
> possibility. Or you could put the hard drive into another computer and
> install Linux (that might void the warranty).

WUBI builds a Linux filesystem within an NTFS file. It then installs a
loader option (IIRC, using the Windows boot loader) to load and
execute the Linux kernel in the Linux filesystem.
This permits the end-user to select Windows or Linux at boot, and keep
separate OS implementations without disturbing the Windows
environment.

The OP might find this useful. If not, then I'd go with your
additional hard-drive suggestion.
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:35:48 -0500, John Varela <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> This needs to be a high reliability installation system, because it
> appears that if the Win 7 partition is screwed there is no way to
> recover.

If there's enough ram, and the system is fast enough, I'd run linux
under VirtualBox. No risk of making the system unbootable.

Either that, or temporarily transfer the hard drive to a computer
that can boot from dvd, for the install.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Michael Black on
On Fri, 6 Mar 2010, John Varela wrote:

> I run an iMac and, within that, OS/2 (as you can see from my
> headers).
>
> I just bought a Samsung N150 netbook with the idea of installing
> Linux on it.
>
> This computer has no CD drive and will not boot from a USB source. I
> have been into the BIOS set-up and it will ONLY boot from the hard
> drive.

That seems unlikely. Try plugging a USB device into the netbook, see
if booting from USB becomes an option then.

When I got my Aspire One, I recall reading some comment somewhere about
not being able to boot from USB, and I even seem to recall not seeing
the option in the BIOS. Yet I can boot from USB, so without fulling
remembering what happened, I assume I needed to plug in a USB flash
drive before I could change the boot option.

Michael