From: AZ Nomad on
On 9 Mar 2010 02:10:07 GMT, John Varela <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 04:15:48 UTC, Michael Black <et472(a)ncf.ca> wrote:

>> On Fri, 6 Mar 2010, John Varela wrote:
>>
>> > I run an iMac and, within that, OS/2 (as you can see from my
>> > headers).
>> >
>> > I just bought a Samsung N150 netbook with the idea of installing
>> > Linux on it.
>> >
>> > This computer has no CD drive and will not boot from a USB source. I
>> > have been into the BIOS set-up and it will ONLY boot from the hard
>> > drive.
>> >
>> That seems unlikely.

>But true. In the BIOS set-up for boot sequence, the top item is "USB
>CD (N/A)". The help says "<Shift + 1> enables or disables a
>device". It doesn't. <Shift + 1> just makes a beep.

>> Try plugging a USB device into the netbook, see
>> if booting from USB becomes an option then.

>It doesn't.

many bioses are very primative about booting from usb, expecting the
geometry of a floppy or zip drive. HP has a utility that formats a
memory stick and puts either a copy of dos, or an open sourced dos
replacement. I use it for flashing bioses. (you might also see about
upgrading our bios to the latest). I might let you copy a linux
distro to the laptop, but I don't know how you'd proceed to run its
installer.
From: Roberuto on
On 5 Mar, 23:35, "John Varela" <newla...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> I run an iMac and, within that, OS/2 (as you can see from my
> headers).
>
> I just bought a SamsungN150netbook with the idea of installing
> Linux on it.
>
> This computer has no CD drive and will not boot from a USB source. I
> have been into the BIOS set-up and it will ONLY boot from the hard
> drive.
>
> I've tried Googling and can't seem to formulate a query that finds
> anything useful, so I come to this group to ask:
>
> Is there a Linux distribution that can install by launching the
> set-up from Windows 7?
>
> Preferably Linux would reside in a separate partition and allow
> booting into either Win 7 or Linux.
>
> This needs to be a high reliability installation system, because it
> appears that if the Win 7 partition is screwed there is no way to
> recover.
>
> --
> John Varela

I just bought a N150 and managed to install Ubuntu Network Remix
successfully!

I used a 8g pendrive and used an application from the site www.pendrivelinux.com
that was really easy to use.

Connecting the pendrive to an USB port creates a new option in the
boot list (accessed via F2 on the "Samsung" startup screen). Put this
option above the 160gb HD and there you go: the netbook will boot the
pendrive.

Installed Ubuntu Remix normally in a newly created partition (left the
recovery partitions and the windows 7 partition untouched). Booted the
netbook through GRUB and managed to use the Ubuntu Remix successfully.

The problem is that when I booted Windows 7 Starter, the netbook
crashed: it started booting over and over again. The GRUB stopped
working. I am trying to figure it out right now.

Hope it helps!

Roberto Nakai