From: Danny on
Alright here's the story... I bought my used portege 3500 a few weeks
ago and wanted to reformat the hard drive but didnt know it was gonna
be so hard. Looked all over the net and can't find any realy simple
explainations on how to do it so i was hoping you guy can help.

My Toshiba 3500 doesn't have a built in cd-rom or floppy drive but i
went out and purchased external ones. Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't
allow for booting from usb so im out of luck. Th floppy drive though
luckile boots.

I have windows already installed but i would like to do a clean install
to have everything fresh on there. I wanted to take the route where i
copy the xp cd to a partition on my hard drive and then install from
there but i'm running into a few problems... here's what i've got so
far:

- I've partition a piece of my hard drive (1.5GB - FAT32 - i think
thats what its suppose to be) and dumped the xp cd on to it. I've
created a windows 98 boot disk with smartdrv.exe on it and booted my
laptop. One problem or question i'm having is in windows this partition
is named i: but when i boot from the floppy the drive is c:....(and yes
i've checked the c:\ and it is the dumped xp drive)

- Next, i cd to the i386 folder (c:\xp\i386) and run winnt.exe. It then
asks me where the files are located...c:\xp\i386 and i hit enter. then
it starts to copy the files over. (I dont get what its copying since
the files are already there???) Anyways once its complete my laptop
restarts and just goes back to the original windows i have installed.
Once in windows i looked in my NOW i:\ partition which for some reason
is called c:\ in dos and 2 new folders have been
createed....$WIN_NT$.~LS and $WIN_NT$.~BT.

This is where i have left off as i am completely confused and DESPERATE
for help!

PLEASE if you have any ideas please let me know!!

Thanks for any help provided!
Danny

From: Danny on
Any ideas?

From: Jonathan on
I am having the same problems with my portege M200. Did you manage to get
your problem sorted out?

Regards,
Jonathan