From: TomYoung on
On Apr 19, 9:24 am, "Jerry Boyle" <jerrybo...(a)att.net> wrote:
> "TomYoung" <sombo...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all:
>
> > Well, I bit the bullet today and did the "upgrade" to QD2010.
>
> > First thing I noticed was that QD2010 installed the Windows Sidebar on
> > my desktop, a "feature" I've never felt the need to take advantage of
> > and don't want.
>
> > Second thing I noticed was that QD2010 didn't recognize the
> > "transaction" password I typed in, even though it's the same password
> > that I use on the file and even though this same password worked
> > yesterday in QD2007.
>
> > I've uninstalled QD2010 and now I see that some programs that normally
> > load in the Windows Vista notification area are missing.
>
> > The Intuit programmers have really outdone themselves this time!
>
> > OK, so now what?  Try installing QD2010 again, expecting different
> > results?  (Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity?)
>
> > Tom Young
>
> Tom,
>
> I had exactly the same problems with the sidebar and the transaction
> password.
>
> To get rid of the sidebar: Control Panel -> Programs -> Windows Sidebar
> Properties and uncheck "Start Sidebar when Windows starts."
>
> For the transaction password try capital letters instead of lower case.
>
> Jerry

Jerry:

Thanks!

After working through Quicken's list of things to try from their
knowledge base article "Missing or Incorrect Data After Converting to
the Latest Version of Quicken" the 2nd stab at installation produced
the same results as the 1st try. I knew how to get rid of the sidebar
and get programs back into the notification area but that transaction
password "feature" was a stumper. However, the password in ALL CAPS
worked and I was able to re-set the password to what I've been using
all along.

I was amused by Quicken's summary of the feature:

"You may have converted your older Quicken Data file to Quicken 2010
and noticed your transaction password is not working and is now in all
capital letters." Excuse me?

Tom Young
From: TomYoung on
On Apr 19, 1:41 pm, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply(a)no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <c1a50aaa-5515-4765-84f9-
> d5ec15e45...(a)c36g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, sombo...(a)gmail.com says...
>

> > Well, I bit the bullet today and did the "upgrade" to QD2010.
>
> > First thing I noticed was that QD2010 installed the Windows Sidebar on
> > my desktop, a "feature" I've never felt the need to take advantage of
> > and don't want.
>
> > Second thing I noticed was that QD2010 didn't recognize the
> > "transaction" password I typed in, even though it's the same password
> > that I use on the file and even though this same password worked
> > yesterday in QD2007.
>
> > I've uninstalled QD2010 and now I see that some programs that normally
> > load in the Windows Vista notification area are missing.
>
> > The Intuit programmers have really outdone themselves this time!
>
> > OK, so now what?  Try installing QD2010 again, expecting different
> > results?  (Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity?)
>
> A few questions:
> What version of Windows did you try installing Q2010 in?
>
> Was Q2007 originally installed in the same version of Windows?
>
> Had you run Quicken since the last reboot before doing the install?
>
> I've found that sometimes, it's best to do an upgrade after a fresh
> reboot, and NOT running the program beforehand. In some cases, try to
> disable any auto-start stuff related to it, like the Quicken Reminder.

Got it installed the 2nd time (see above) so all's well that ends
well. Three years from now - if I'm still using Quicken - I'll try to
remember your suggestions.

Tom Young
From: R. C. White on
Hi, Tom.

I'm amazed that you - and several others - have had such problems updating
to Quicken Deluxe 2010.

I bought QD2010 from Office Max in October (for $39.99 after $20.00
Promotional Discount, plus sales tax, for a total of $43.29). It installed
into my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 without any trauma, replacing my QD2009.

I don't recall any Sidebar issue or new password needed. In Vista, I did
use the Sidebar and liked it, but it was a feature of Windows, not of
Quicken. In Win7, the Gadgets just float anywhere I choose on the Desktop
without being corralled in a Sidebar. In Quicken, I don't use a password
except for my Password Vault for One Step Update.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Nobody on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:41:42 -0700 (PDT), TomYoung
<sombodee(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all:
>
>Well, I bit the bullet today and did the "upgrade" to QD2010.

<snipped>

>Second thing I noticed was that QD2010 didn't recognize the
>"transaction" password I typed in, even though it's the same password
>that I use on the file and even though this same password worked
>yesterday in QD2007.

I had a grumble about something similar to this a month or so back...
and sort of got shot down.

I finally (accidentally) discovered a fix so that Q2010 deigned to
accept my old MASTER password (i.e. wot doubled unknowingly in an
earlier version as a transaction password as well).

For me, it was to use totally UPPER CASE in Q2010 when asked for an
old transaction password, even though the prior master password was a
mix.

Don't even ask me why I decided to try it, but it worked. And allowed
me to set a new separate transaction password.

I'd be interested to hear whether that works for you, as it would
suggest some sort of glitch.

<snipped>

From: speedlever on
I had the same experience as you RC. I installed QD2010 over QD2008 with no
issues at all on a Vista/Ultimate/64 system. When my HD crashed earlier
this year, I replaced Vista with Windows 7 Home Premium and installed
QD2010 again with absolutely no issues. No sidebar problems... no password
problems.

I also don't use a password in QD2010 except for the password vault and
OSD.