From: TomYoung on
Hi all:

Well, I bit the bullet today and did the "upgrade" to QD2010.

First thing I noticed was that QD2010 installed the Windows Sidebar on
my desktop, a "feature" I've never felt the need to take advantage of
and don't want.

Second thing I noticed was that QD2010 didn't recognize the
"transaction" password I typed in, even though it's the same password
that I use on the file and even though this same password worked
yesterday in QD2007.

I've uninstalled QD2010 and now I see that some programs that normally
load in the Windows Vista notification area are missing.

The Intuit programmers have really outdone themselves this time!

OK, so now what? Try installing QD2010 again, expecting different
results? (Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity?)

Tom Young
From: Jerry Boyle on

"TomYoung" <sombodee(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> Well, I bit the bullet today and did the "upgrade" to QD2010.
>
> First thing I noticed was that QD2010 installed the Windows Sidebar on
> my desktop, a "feature" I've never felt the need to take advantage of
> and don't want.
>
> Second thing I noticed was that QD2010 didn't recognize the
> "transaction" password I typed in, even though it's the same password
> that I use on the file and even though this same password worked
> yesterday in QD2007.
>
> I've uninstalled QD2010 and now I see that some programs that normally
> load in the Windows Vista notification area are missing.
>
> The Intuit programmers have really outdone themselves this time!
>
> OK, so now what? Try installing QD2010 again, expecting different
> results? (Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity?)
>
> Tom Young

Tom,

I had exactly the same problems with the sidebar and the transaction
password.

To get rid of the sidebar: Control Panel -> Programs -> Windows Sidebar
Properties and uncheck "Start Sidebar when Windows starts."

For the transaction password try capital letters instead of lower case.

Jerry

From: John Oliver on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:41:42 -0700 (PDT), TomYoung wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Well, I bit the bullet today and did the "upgrade" to QD2010.
>
> First thing I noticed was that QD2010 installed the Windows Sidebar on
> my desktop, a "feature" I've never felt the need to take advantage of
> and don't want.
>
> Second thing I noticed was that QD2010 didn't recognize the
> "transaction" password I typed in, even though it's the same password
> that I use on the file and even though this same password worked
> yesterday in QD2007.
>
> I've uninstalled QD2010 and now I see that some programs that normally
> load in the Windows Vista notification area are missing.
>
> The Intuit programmers have really outdone themselves this time!
>
> OK, so now what? Try installing QD2010 again, expecting different
> results? (Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity?)

That's kind of what you get with Windows... do the same thing ten times,
and get ten different results :-)

Sometimes upgrades go wonky, and uninstalling it, manually deleting any
folders left over, clearing out temp files and caches, and then
installing the new version from scratch works.

From: infodex on
That's been my pet peeve today too.

A while back, I got a 2010 CD in the mail with a notice that support
for my 2007 version was being withdrawn on 4/30. The package described
how easy the upgrade would be and promised free tech support for the
install.

Over the weekend, I tired the upgrade and it immediately failed with a
message that it couldn't access the Quicken site. I turned to the
brochure to see how to contact my "free tech support" and, surprise of
surprises, no contact info.

I then went directly to Quicken.com expecting I could order directly
from the site and still get the $20 discount offered in the mailing.
Another surprise. I go through the entire checkout process and there
is no upgrade price, so I cancel the purchase and go to "Contact Us."

And, whaddya know, phone contact is unavailable. So, I sent them an
email and a day later I get a reply from someone who obviously does
not speak English as a first language and he suggested I follow a link
in his reply that will take me to a place that will schedule a
callback from their tech support.

So, I can't have any easy direct contact with my free tech support.

The only feature of 2007 that I will lose come 4/30 is one online
download of credit card info, which I can easily resort to doing
manually when I get my monthly statement.

And, to add insult to injury, their discount price on the upgrade is
$79. BJs warehouse has it for $65 and Amazon is even cheaper.

Intuit can keep 2010 and file it away in whatever deep dark recess
they've apparently buried their customer service.

From: Andrew Rossmann on
In article <c1a50aaa-5515-4765-84f9-
d5ec15e4535f(a)c36g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, sombodee(a)gmail.com says...
> Well, I bit the bullet today and did the "upgrade" to QD2010.
>
> First thing I noticed was that QD2010 installed the Windows Sidebar on
> my desktop, a "feature" I've never felt the need to take advantage of
> and don't want.
>
> Second thing I noticed was that QD2010 didn't recognize the
> "transaction" password I typed in, even though it's the same password
> that I use on the file and even though this same password worked
> yesterday in QD2007.
>
> I've uninstalled QD2010 and now I see that some programs that normally
> load in the Windows Vista notification area are missing.
>
> The Intuit programmers have really outdone themselves this time!
>
> OK, so now what? Try installing QD2010 again, expecting different
> results? (Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity?)

A few questions:
What version of Windows did you try installing Q2010 in?

Was Q2007 originally installed in the same version of Windows?

Had you run Quicken since the last reboot before doing the install?

I've found that sometimes, it's best to do an upgrade after a fresh
reboot, and NOT running the program beforehand. In some cases, try to
disable any auto-start stuff related to it, like the Quicken Reminder.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross