From: Jerry Boyle on
Both Tom and I had amazingly similar problems with the Sidebar and
transaction password that few if any others have reported.

A common thread is that we both installed Q2010 recently and I (and probably
Tom) installed it under Vista SP2 with the latest patches and fixes to that
OS. I'm now on R 8 of H&B. Every change to either Quicken or Windows runs
the risk of exposing latent bugs that have unpredictable symptoms. If Tom
also has a Dell computer (he didn't say) that's another huge commonality.

Let me assure Quicken users that Intuit has not been taken over by a bunch
of morons who decided to inflict their users with the Sidebar. What
obviously happened is that the Windows Startup mechanism got damaged so that
some processes that were supposed to start didn't (that's why we both were
missing icons in the Notification area) and at least one process (Sidebar)
started that shouldn't have.

The Startup mechanism is unbelievably complicated and involves as many as 20
different files, folders and registry keys. [Take a look at pages 137-139 of
Windows Vista Inside Out next time you're in a bookstore.] Microsoft seems
to feel free to change how application installation programs interact with
this mess, not just from OS to OS, but from Service Pack (SP) to SP and
perhaps even with fixes within a SP. It doesn't surprise me at all that
somehow, in our perhaps already-damaged Startup mechanisms, Tom and I both
got a switch set that caused Sidebar to start.

The transaction password being converted to upper case is more puzzling. One
could speculate that legacy code from the DOS days, when some users had
Caps-only keyboards, might still be lurking in Quicken and that this code
gets activated only if Venus is aligned with Mars and you have Caps Lock on
at the time your Quicken DB is converted. This is wild but plausible
speculation and it's stuff like this that compentent programmers look for
when errors like this are reported by the user community.

The important point here is that Q2010 isn't a disaster. These were the only
problems I had, they were easily fixed, and Q2010H&B is working like a
charm. A big thanks from me to those of you in this group and elsewhere who
got Intuit to fix the File Backup mechanism. Your feedback turned a bad
design into a really nice feature that for me is worth the entire price of
Q2010H&B.

Still, I hope Intuit will recognize that when at least two different users
report the same problem it deserves investigation.

And that's the way I see it :-)

Jerry

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Jerry.

Thanks for your feedback. You and Tom are both long-time regulars in this
newsgroup and you both are quite competent computer users and Quicken
wranglers. I don't have a clue as to why your problems happened or how to
fix them, but Intuit certainly should investigate why the problems
happened - and why they happened in your two specific cases.

Please let us know if you hear from Intuit or learn the answer to this
question.

RC