From: cabenjam on
Pa Bear,

With AV off and Windows/Download folder reset, I'm having the same SP#
installation issue - it fails toward end of process with Error Code:
0x8007F070 or Error Code: 0x80246007.

I HAVE recently reinstalled/repaired XP Media Center 2005 from a Dell OEM
disc and saw that you specifically asked about that. Is there a known
problem with installing SP3 after that?

NOTE: I did have to perform several steps to get my PC running correctly
after the reinstall/repair (mostly involving .NET). I could not get
"Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0 Service Pack 3
(KB930494)" to install, but determined that was because my base started at
Version 1.1 after the reinstall/repair.
--
Thanks,
cabenjam

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What a mess.

Is NIS 2008 still uninstalled? (I'd doubt it, else you wouldn't have been
able to use System Restore.)

If so, what anti-virus application did you install to replace NAV, and is
the Windows Firewall now enabled?

Is/was your NIS 2008 subscription current?
--
~PA Bear

From: DunceDan50 on
No when NIS 2008 was uninstalled and the SP3 installation didn't work I
reinstalled NIS 2008 (at no time was i connected to the internet without
firewall. Windows firewall was on when NIS 2008 was uninstalled just to be
safe) Windows Firewall is not now enabled as its back to NIS 2008. The NIS
2008 subscription is current and up to date.
MY latest email from microsoft said to
1) Try to register the windows updates files again and try windows updates.
Regsvr32 Wuweb.dll
Regsvr32 Wuapi.dll
Regsvr32 Wuaueng1.dll
Regsvr32 Wuaueng.dll
Regsvr32 Wuauserv.dll
Regsvr32 Wucltui.dll
Regsvr32 Wups2.dll
Regsvr32 Wups.dll
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
2) If it fails,perform a REPAIR INSTALLATION on the computer.

Step 1 all registered except Wuauserv.dll

Step 2 How do I perform a REPAIR INSTALLATION would it involve going through
the steps in KB917964 and and I have 2 disc would it be Compaq operating
systemCD or Compaq restore CD

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See if Resolution Method 2 here addresses the problem, Dan:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

NB: Before attempting to install WinXP SP3 again, please read both of the
following article:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

FAQ: Upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1
with your Norton 2008 product installed
http://solutions.symantec.com/sdccommon/asp/symcu_defcontent_view.asp?ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=b32555cd-1b26-4041-abac-882faf8d365f&docid=20080530144453EN

I would strongly recommend that you (1) disable Norton AntiVirus, (2)
disable the Norton firewall, and then (3) enable the Windows Firewall before

From: DunceDan50 on
The repair installation didn't work, and it took the PC back to XP basic
installation and no updates would install so i performed a complete
installation back to the factory settings and with only the windows firewall
on I spent all day installing all the relevent updates and all worked , I
then reinstalled NIS 2008.
Thanks for your help