From: Carlos on
R.C.,
The Program Files naming makes sense.
But using \windows\system32 for all the 64-bit stuff...
Still trying to find any logic there.
:)
Carlos

From: Dave Warren on
In message <0FFD5FCD-2CA0-43F7-BF03-84A28BDBEB4A(a)microsoft.com> "R. C.
White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> was claimed to have wrote:

>Since learning that "x86" refers to the Intel x86 family of 32-bit CPUs
>(8086, 80286, etc.), I've accepted Microsoft's backwards naming. And since
>disk space is much cheaper now, I no longer try to share app installations
>between Windows versions. All 32-bit apps go into PF86 (my own
>abbreviation) and all 64-bit apps into PF. But I still think that if MS had
>created a new Program Files (x64), rather than what they did, it would have
>been a lot less confusing for us users.

MS' mistake was omitting the architecture at all. This is a much older
problem than XP, going back to when NT ran on multiple architectures it
was decided that "Program Files" would be the default location for any
native application, and non-native applications would get tossed into
"Program Files (architecture type)"

This causes a small amount of confusion for people first running a
non-typical architecture, especially since no one has seen a non-native
application in a very long time.
From: R. C. White on
Hi, Dave.

Thanks for that history and background!

I'm not techie enough to understand it completely, but that is the first
explanation I've heard that made any sense to me.

RC

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Trond.
>
> As Jeff said, you've got it backwards. Actually, in my opinion, it is
> Microsoft who "got it backwards"! :>(

They got it backwards the first time and now they seem to be trying to avoid
the same error. E.g. when Win32 first happened it could have happened in
System and System16 created for running old apps. If that had happened
then there would be clear reason to have X64 in System and System32
available if necessary. Notice that 16-bit support has been dropped in W7
but we still have an empty System folder! I think the problem then was
that things weren't as parameterized as they are now, so if that logical
change had been made too much 16-bit stuff would not have worked without
having to be rewritten.

---

From: Jeff Zeitlin on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:23:37 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net>
wrote:

>Since learning that "x86" refers to the Intel x86 family of 32-bit CPUs
>(8086, 80286, etc.), I've accepted Microsoft's backwards naming. And since
>disk space is much cheaper now, I no longer try to share app installations
>between Windows versions. All 32-bit apps go into PF86 (my own
>abbreviation) and all 64-bit apps into PF. But I still think that if MS had
>created a new Program Files (x64), rather than what they did, it would have
>been a lot less confusing for us users.

An even better choice on MS's part would have been that with the advent
of 64-bit version of the OS, drop the un-modified "Program Files"
directory/folder entirely; put 32-bit executables into "Program Files
(32-bit)" and 64-bit executables into "Program Files (64-bit)". That
way, there'd have been no confusion whatsoever. Similarly for the
Windows/System directory/folder; ...System32 and ...System64 would have
been the better choice - and in fact, consistent with what they
apparently intended to do with the advent of 32-bit Windows, when
"System" and "System32" were created; System was 16-bit supporting files
(e.g., DLLs), while the new System32 was for the new 32-bit supporting
files.

That's all in the past, now, and we have to live with what MS /actually/
did instead of what they /should/ have done...