From: T.Wahl on
I am running 64 bit Win7.
Adobe Reader is automatically installing in C:/Programfiles (x86). (64 bit,
I think)
I would like to install the program in C:/Programfiles (32bit part, I
presume).
The reason is that I want Adobe Reader to show PDF documents as a thumbnail
in Explorer instead of the anonymous PDF icon.
As you may know,there is no 64 bit driver for Adobe Reader, only a "Win7
driver"
I am using Win7 32 bit at work and PDF files are shown as thumbnails
(showing the first page of the document)

Is there any way of forcing a program (Adobe Reader) to be installed as a
"32 bit program" in C:/Programfiles?

Best regards
Trond W

From: Jerry on
A 32-bit program in Win7 64-bit, by default, installs in \Program Files
(x86) and a 64-bit program install in \Program Files

As there is only a 32-bit verion of Adobe Reader presently available it is
installing in the correct location.

From: Jeff Zeitlin on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:21:02 +0200, "T.Wahl" <twahl(a)getmail.no> wrote:

>I am running 64 bit Win7.
>Adobe Reader is automatically installing in C:/Programfiles (x86). (64 bit,
>I think)
>I would like to install the program in C:/Programfiles (32bit part, I
>presume).
>The reason is that I want Adobe Reader to show PDF documents as a thumbnail
>in Explorer instead of the anonymous PDF icon.
>As you may know,there is no 64 bit driver for Adobe Reader, only a "Win7
>driver"
>I am using Win7 32 bit at work and PDF files are shown as thumbnails
>(showing the first page of the document)
>
>Is there any way of forcing a program (Adobe Reader) to be installed as a
>"32 bit program" in C:/Programfiles?

You've got it backwards - When running Win7/64-bit, 32-bit programs get
installed into the Program Files (x86) folder; Program Files is for
64-bit programs. Adober Reader is being installed correctly for your
system.
From: Bobby Johnson on
See Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails
@ http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/index.html#downl

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Trond.

As Jeff said, you've got it backwards. Actually, in my opinion, it is
Microsoft who "got it backwards"! :>(

When 64-bit Windows XP arrived - about 5 years ago - I installed it on my
new 64-bit CPU/mobo. I saw this NEW "Program Files (x86)" folder. Like
you, I assumed that, since this folder did not exist in my 32-bit WinXP,
then it MUST be for 64-bit apps. All my apps at that time were 32-bit, of
course, so I forced them all into the original Program Files folder. It
took several months for me to learn that I was 180 degrees out of sync! :>(

I was multi-booting WinXP, Win2K and Win98 before WinXP X64, and installing
each app multiple times into a single Program Files folder on a "neutral"
drive (one with no OS on it), letting each setup file write
platform-specific information into each Registry, but saving disk space by
having them all use the single copy of the .exe, .dll etc. files. This
worked well - until X64. Before I learned how to use that x86 folder, I had
hopelessly tangled multiple installations of Excel (for example) in
E:\Program Files. WinXP Pro correctly recognized it as a 32-bit app, but
WinXP X64 thought it was a 64-bit app. I'm not a techie, but my
understanding is that the problem is not just with the .exe file itself, but
with the many .dll and other support files that need to be in the proper
folder so that the 64-bit OS can find them and match them up.

Since learning that "x86" refers to the Intel x86 family of 32-bit CPUs
(8086, 80286, etc.), I've accepted Microsoft's backwards naming. And since
disk space is much cheaper now, I no longer try to share app installations
between Windows versions. All 32-bit apps go into PF86 (my own
abbreviation) and all 64-bit apps into PF. But I still think that if MS had
created a new Program Files (x64), rather than what they did, it would have
been a lot less confusing for us users.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA