From: Ken on
Hello,

I recently installed Virtual PC 2004 SP1, and would like to install Windows
98 on it. I don't actually have a hard copy of Windows 98, but my MSDN
Universal Subscription gives me the ability to download it, so I downloaded
the ISO file. I created a new virtual machine and started it. First I
captured my Win98 ISO and attempted to boot from it, but quickly found out
that this was not possible, as the ISO was not bootable.

I thought, "OK, I need a bootable disk." But my PC has no floppy drive.
Instead, I used my CD-burning software (Nero) to create a bootable image.
The image ended up with Caldera DOS. I captured this new CD image and
successfully booted from it, but for some reason it booted to A: and no other
drives were available. (Where was my virtual hard drive, I wondered - of
course I had created one...)

I tried fdisk. Hm, no hard drives defined. I went ahead and initialized
the 1st hard drive, and created a primary partition on it. It wouldn't let
me create a primary partition larger than about 2GB, so I settled for that.
Finally, C: was available, but it had no files.

Ok, I think, the next step is to run the Win98 setup program. But the
virtual CD drive is already in use by my bootable image. Crossing my
fingers, I captured a new image, this time my Win98 ISO image. I found that
it was loaded on D:, so I went to that drive and ran Setup.exe.

It got as far as the message:
"Copying files for Windows setup..."
At that point Virtual PC crashed with the message:

An unrecoverable processor error has been encountered.
The virtual machine will reset now.

I have tried many more things besides what is written here, and am at my
wits end. If anyone can offer help with this, please do.

Thanks,
Ken
From: Steve Jain on
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:22:03 -0700, Ken
<Ken(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I recently installed Virtual PC 2004 SP1, and would like to install Windows
>98 on it. I don't actually have a hard copy of Windows 98, but my MSDN
>Universal Subscription gives me the ability to download it, so I downloaded
>the ISO file. I created a new virtual machine and started it. First I
>captured my Win98 ISO and attempted to boot from it, but quickly found out
>that this was not possible, as the ISO was not bootable.
>
>I thought, "OK, I need a bootable disk." But my PC has no floppy drive.
>Instead, I used my CD-burning software (Nero) to create a bootable image.
>The image ended up with Caldera DOS. I captured this new CD image and
>successfully booted from it, but for some reason it booted to A: and no other
>drives were available. (Where was my virtual hard drive, I wondered - of
>course I had created one...)

Right, without loading cd-rom drivers, you won't have a D: drive for
your cd-rom.

>I tried fdisk. Hm, no hard drives defined. I went ahead and initialized
>the 1st hard drive, and created a primary partition on it. It wouldn't let
>me create a primary partition larger than about 2GB, so I settled for that.
>Finally, C: was available, but it had no files.

That's correct, DOS uses FAT which is limited to 2GB.

>Ok, I think, the next step is to run the Win98 setup program. But the
>virtual CD drive is already in use by my bootable image. Crossing my
>fingers, I captured a new image, this time my Win98 ISO image. I found that
>it was loaded on D:, so I went to that drive and ran Setup.exe.

You can get a pre-made Win98 guest, including a Win98 boot disk from
my website, all you need is your Win98 ISO/CD and just follow the
directions.

Also, reduce the RAM assigned to the VM to 64MB for the installation.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Ken on
Oh yeah, I have solved my own problem... I am the MAN, uh-huh uh-huh
uh-huh... :)

Here's what I had to do:
1. Go to bootdisk.com and download the boot disk for Windows 98.
2. Create a bootable floppy (I have an older PC that includes a floppy drive).
3. Use Nero to burn the bootable floppy onto a CD image.
4. Boot my virtual machine from the bootable CD image.
5. Use fdisk to repartition the virtual HD (the version of fdisk on the
Win98 startup disk is different, and allows partitions larger than 2GB).
6. Reboot the VM; format the HD using "format c:"
7. Capture the ISO image for the Win98 CD; it ended up going to E:.
8. Run Setup.exe on the CD image. From there everything went fine... as
much as can be expected for the installation of a Microsoft OS.

Boo-yah! Hope this helps someone else down the road...

Ken