From: SinghRoc on
Hello

I am trying to install a windows server 64 bits standard server. I have
serial number for both with and without R2. I don't want to install R2 when I
install the server. Media kit that I have got has two CDs and it installs R2
when I use both CD. My question is, how can I not install r2 using my media
kit or where can I get windows 2003 64 bits standard server with or without
SP1 or SP2 (if without service packs, I can download and install service
packs)
Or can I still get media kits without R2 in it from market?

Please let me know

Thanks

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
I'm sure you can still get media kits. There is no Windows Server x64
without at least SP1, since it released at the SP1 level. You should be able
to get media kits with integrated SP2 at this point. And you don't need to
buy R2 - it's a separate product. Though I think there's some good stuff in
R2 that make it well worth it.

FWIW, you don't need to actually install any of the stuff on the second CD
until you find something you need. And in most cases it only puts a stub on
the machine until you actually fully install the feature.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

From: SinghRoc on
thanks a lot
this is helpful
i bought 2003 r2, thinking that i will use R2 features and i don't think i
will be using those featues, so i decided to stick with 2003 with sp2 (i
already have 2003 daomin).
i will call me vendor and see if they can get me windows 2003 64 bits
standard server media kit.
one more question, my domain has two 2003 standard 32 bits servers (both
domain controllers) and i would like to made this 64 bits server a third
domain controller. the new server will have sp2 on it and other two servers
don't have any service pack on them. my question is, when i run dcpromo on 64
bits server, will it join normally or has the AD structure changed with Sp1
and Sp2?

thanks

From: SinghRoc on
thanks a lot

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
R2 introduced AD changes, and I think SP1 did as well. You'll likely need to
run adprep on the domain before promoting the x64 server.

FWIW, you really, really, should be running at least SP1 on that domain. I
can think of good arguments for not installing SP2, but none for not
installing SP1.

Also, when you ask for media kits, please be careful what you ask for. There
are two very different, completely incompatible, versions of 64bit Windows -
x64 (AMD64 and EM64T) and Itanium. You need to make sure you get the right
version.