From: Bruce. on
"Robert Neville" <dont(a)bother.com> wrote in message
> I have "Int Inc" in my list, associated with Schedule B. If you don't have
> that,
> create one...

Ok, I have created one for Interest with the correct tax catagory. But that
makes reports harder to read because some of the interest is reported under
_IntInc and some under the newly created Interest.

It looks like when you enter an transaction in an investment account,
Quicken allows you to enter all types of income on a single dialog,
Interest, Short Term Capital Gains, etc, etc. On that dialog you are not
allowed to enter the catagory as each box has that meaning hard coded, and
those use the underscore catagories. That means I can't globally replace
all occurances of _IntInc with my created Interest, because those underscore
catagories are hard wired in that dialog.

So to keep the reports listing ALL interest income as a single total, I'm
sorta forced to use _IntInc for other non-investment transactions, like
savings account interests. However, Quicken has _IntInc marked as Hidden
(Hide), so I gotta believe there is some reason the Quicken programmers
don't want me to use those or why hide them?

Anyway, I have created an Interest catagory as you suggested and will just
have to put up with having 2 catagories that means the exact same thing in
reports.

Bruce.

From: John Pollard on
Bruce. wrote:
>> Quicken categories that start with an underscore are categories that
>> Quicken requires in order to automatically categorize certain
>> transactions. [And interest income is no where near the "only" such
>> category.]
>
> _IntInc is the only one I can find that says "Investment Interest
> Income" in the entire catagory list. It is also the only one that
> has the proper tax assignment as "interest income" with tax catagory
> "Schedule B Interest Income" assigned.
>
>> I'm not aware that the _IntInc category is "hidden" by default in
>> Quicken ... whenever that category is required by Quicken. If
>> Quicken doesn't need that category, it is not hidden (please look at
>> the "hide" option for categories) ... it is non-existant.
>
> It IS hidden. When you display the catagory List, the 4th column is
> a check box that says "Hide", and all underscore catagories have
> "Hide" checked.

Sorry, you're right. Been a long time since I looked at a New Quicken
file's categories.

> As a result of this Hide setting, when you are entering new
> tranactions and use the popup Catagory selection, _IntInc is nowhere
> to be found. Of course I can uncheck the Hide, but my question is
> WHY would it be marked Hide straight from Quicken (I'm a new 2010
> convert from Money).
>> In other words: if you have no "investment" accounts in your Quicken
>> file,
>
> I have multiple invesement accounts and so recording interest income
> is critical. So back to my question, what would the only Interest
> Income catagory have an unscore and why is is hidden by default?

"_IntInc" is not the only interest income category that comes with
Quicken. See "Interest Inc". And while I can't read Intuit's mind, it
may be hidden because you're not required to use it. Quicken will use it,
when it is required to do so. Quicken may actually want to discourage you
from using the underscore categories.

>> What is really troubling you about this?
>
> Since it makes no sense, I assume I'm missing someething.

I don't think you're missing anything significant. Unhide the underscore
categories, if you like.

Quicken uses the underscore categories for transactions where it
automatically categorizes the transaction ... where you usually have no
option to choose the category. Quicken has to be able to count on those
categories being present; so you can't delete them and you can't change
their names.

Other than the categories whose names begin with an underscore, Quicken's
categories are merely suggestions, you can use whatever category name you
like. A person that has never had any Quicken investment accounts will
not have the "_IntInc" category ... but they may still need to categorize
interest income. They can use "Interest Inc" or create on, or more,
categories of their own choosing (I have several).

I don't recall ever having the need to select the "_IntInc" category for
any Quicken transaction.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Bruce. on
"TomYoung" <sombodee(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Feb 10, 6:23 pm, "Bruce." <no...(a)example.net> wrote:
> At a guess, the underscore categories are hidden because they are
> associated with Investing Accounts (Investment Accounts and Retirement
> Accounts) and are used by Quicken internally to categorize
> transactions based on the Action you choose.
>
>So, *in an Investing Account*, if the Action is "Div" (you could
>either enter this transaction right in the register itself by
>selecting "Div" in the Action column of the register or by clicking on
>the "Enter Transaction" button at the top of the register, selecting
>"Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)" from the drop-down menu and then
>entering a dollar amount in the "Dividend" box) Quicken will
>automatically use the "_DivInc" category and associate that income
>with the security you've entered.
>
>CD's and Savings Accounts, on the other hand, are typically set up as
>Cash Flow Accounts (Spending Accounts and Savings Accounts) and can't
>be automatically categorized by Quicken because there's no associated
>"Action" that Quicken can use to select a category. In these accounts
>*you* provide the category. If you want to use the underscored
>categories here un-hide them and they'll show up in the menu of
>available categories. Most people, I'm guessing, prefer to use a
>category like "Interest Income" or "Int Inc" with suitable
>subcategories like "B of A CD" or "Schwab Savings." (In fact, if I'm
>not mistaken, the category "Interest Inc" comes pre-installed with
>Quicken and is associated with "Schedule B: Interest Income." At
>least it does in my version of Quicken, Quicken Deluxe 2007.)

Thanks Tom for sheding some light on how Quicken uses the "hidden" invesment
catagories. Yes, I just discovered that Quicken does come with a Interest
Catagory that you can add it using Add Catagory and selecting the Interest
one.

I think I'll stay away from using _IntInt as it still worries me why Quicken
would hide them for unknown reasons. So I'll let it use _IntInc in
investment accounts and I'll use the newly added Interest catagory in other
account types.

Thanks!
Bruce.

From: Bruce. on
"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Quicken uses the underscore categories for transactions where it
> automatically categorizes the transaction ... where you usually have no
> option to choose the category. Quicken has to be able to count on those
> categories being present; so you can't delete them and you can't change
> their names.
>
> Other than the categories whose names begin with an underscore, Quicken's
> categories are merely suggestions, you can use whatever category name you
> like. A person that has never had any Quicken investment accounts will
> not have the "_IntInc" category ... but they may still need to categorize
> interest income. They can use "Interest Inc" or create on, or more,
> categories of their own choosing (I have several).
>
> I don't recall ever having the need to select the "_IntInc" category for
> any Quicken transaction.

Ok, thanks much for the help John. I've created my own interest catagory
and will use that when I'm entering interest in a non-investment account.

When I'm learning new software, my tendancy is to try and get inside the
heads of the programmers so I can use the program the way they intended,
rather than me going my own way and doing it ways they never intended. I
seem to run in to far fewer bugs with that approach.

Bruce.

From: Oilcan on
I have been using _IntInc and the corresponding DivInc category for 15
years without any problem. I didn't like having two categories.

Oilcan

Posted At: Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:01 AM
Posted To: alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
Conversation: _IntInc
Subject: Re: _IntInc