From: Bruce. on
"Oilcan" <oilcan(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>I have been using _IntInc and the corresponding DivInc category for 15
> years without any problem. I didn't like having two categories.
>
> Oilcan

Thanks Oilcan.

Bruce.

From: TomYoung on
On Feb 11, 7:39 pm, "Oilcan" <oil...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> I have been using _IntInc and the corresponding DivInc category for 15
> years without any problem.  I didn't like having two categories.

The only problem with using the underscore categories is that you
can't attach sub-categories to them, or at least I can't in QD2007.
The use of sub-categories adds a useful functionality to Quicken and I
would be loath to abandon them.

Tom Young

From: Zaidy036 on
On 2/11/2010 11:14 AM, Bruce. wrote:
> "TomYoung"<sombodee(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 10, 6:23 pm, "Bruce."<no...(a)example.net> wrote:
>> At a guess, the underscore categories are hidden because they are
>> associated with Investing Accounts (Investment Accounts and Retirement
>> Accounts) and are used by Quicken internally to categorize
>> transactions based on the Action you choose.
>>
>> So, *in an Investing Account*, if the Action is "Div" (you could
>> either enter this transaction right in the register itself by
>> selecting "Div" in the Action column of the register or by clicking on
>> the "Enter Transaction" button at the top of the register, selecting
>> "Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)" from the drop-down menu and then
>> entering a dollar amount in the "Dividend" box) Quicken will
>> automatically use the "_DivInc" category and associate that income
>> with the security you've entered.
>>
>> CD's and Savings Accounts, on the other hand, are typically set up as
>> Cash Flow Accounts (Spending Accounts and Savings Accounts) and can't
>> be automatically categorized by Quicken because there's no associated
>> "Action" that Quicken can use to select a category. In these accounts
>> *you* provide the category. If you want to use the underscored
>> categories here un-hide them and they'll show up in the menu of
>> available categories. Most people, I'm guessing, prefer to use a
>> category like "Interest Income" or "Int Inc" with suitable
>> subcategories like "B of A CD" or "Schwab Savings." (In fact, if I'm
>> not mistaken, the category "Interest Inc" comes pre-installed with
>> Quicken and is associated with "Schedule B: Interest Income." At
>> least it does in my version of Quicken, Quicken Deluxe 2007.)
>
> Thanks Tom for sheding some light on how Quicken uses the "hidden" invesment
> catagories. Yes, I just discovered that Quicken does come with a Interest
> Catagory that you can add it using Add Catagory and selecting the Interest
> one.
>
> I think I'll stay away from using _IntInt as it still worries me why Quicken
> would hide them for unknown reasons. So I'll let it use _IntInc in
> investment accounts and I'll use the newly added Interest catagory in other
> account types.
>
> Thanks!
> Bruce.

Look at Reports - Investment Income - Sub-Total by Security

It uses the "underline" categories and is a good check against 1099's at
tax time.

Eric

From: Oilcan on
Perhaps. But the way I record transactions it states who the payee is,
plus I can tell by the account so I don't have a use of subcategories on
this category.

Oilcan

Posted At: Friday, February 12, 2010 9:13 AM
Posted To: alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
Conversation: _IntInc
Subject: Re: _IntInc