From: pawprint on
I have 2 very similar Dell machines.
XP SP3 fully updated.
Computer 1 has been using a MS Intellimouse Optical for years with no
problem. The other day the mouse started malfunctioning. The programmed
buttons for “Show Desktop” and “Explore My Computer” quit working. I have
programmed other choices and the work. My keyboard shortcut Windows +D (Show
Desktop) doesn't work either.
I put the keyboard and mouse on Machine # 2 and everything works. The
keyboard from computer #1 works properly on #2 but does not work on #1.

The Show Desktop icon Quick Launch works properly.

Obviously a software problem?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

From: glee on
"pawprint" <pawprint(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 very similar Dell machines.
> XP SP3 fully updated.
> Computer 1 has been using a MS Intellimouse Optical for years with no
> problem. The other day the mouse started malfunctioning. The
> programmed
> buttons for “Show Desktop” and “Explore My Computer” quit working. I
> have
> programmed other choices and the work. My keyboard shortcut Windows +D
> (Show
> Desktop) doesn't work either.
> I put the keyboard and mouse on Machine # 2 and everything works. The
> keyboard from computer #1 works properly on #2 but does not work on
> #1.
>
> The Show Desktop icon Quick Launch works properly.
>
> Obviously a software problem?
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks

Do any other Windows Key shortcuts work?
Try WinKey+Pause/Break and see if it opens System Properties, WinKey+E
to open Windows Explorer, WinKey+R to open the Run dialog. Do they all
work, except for WinKey+D?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: pawprint on
Thanks for responding.
Win+Pause clicked 1 time nothing, click again, the Start menu opens.
Win + E opens a context menu with Select All, Find and Find again.
No others work

From: glee on
You're trying this with no programs open and taking the focus of the
mouse and keyboard, right?
I am confused about how Win+E is opening a context menu if no programs
are open to interpret the key combo. It sounds like you are pressing
the keys while a program has the focus and is taking the key commands.

Are you using XP Home, or Professional?

Check both these keys in the Registry with regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer

Look in both locations for a Dword value called "NoWinKeys"

If it is there, set it to 0
If it is not there, create a Dword value with that name (without the
quotes) and set it to 0

Close regedit and Restart.

if you do not know how to make these changes in regedit, try using this
program by Doug Knox to enable the Windows keys (but the preferred
method is to check the Registry keys as I mentioned above):
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_logokeys.htm

From: pawprint on

Fantastic!!
I entered the registry keys as you described, they were not there, and all
is well
I have been screwing with for several weeks.
Thank you.