From: R_W_B on
Hello I searched the xp forums and found some 2 yr old dated stuff and wanted
to get a more recent update of opinions and information about registry
cleaning software. From the search I found this was a highly emotional
subject back when. Anyhow, all I want it your honest opinions and experience
with these things. And bottom line, are there any dependable ones that
actually do any good.
To start with I will give you my story. In 2006 I bought my first registry
product called Regcure, it crashed my machine and had to do a restore. I got
a refund and then tried MaxRegistry cleaner (yea I'm a sucker for punishment)
it seemed to run ok (i.e. no machine crashes) and I kept it (and used it)
until the year's subscription ran out and then tried RegistryFix, it broke
one of my old Cad apps but I did not find out until it was too late to get a
refund. A friend of mine used RegistryEasy and it broke his XP
start->help&support, but he found a vbs script that fixed that.
So at present I am thinking of just giving up on Registry apps and
excluding myself from the "sucker born every minute" group that P.T. Barnum
spoke of. But I just wanted an outside opinion just to make sure of the
current status of these things. They seem to be selling faster than Win7.
Appreciate any input.
From: LD55ZRA on
The technology has moved since 2006. Nowadays everybody uses CCleaner that
is highly recommended by non other than Ken Blake, MVP and Pig-Bear MVP.
They are in their 80s but they still know something about computers They are
authorised to recommend non-Microsoft tools on these websites. The link is
here:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

hth

From: LVTravel on

"R_W_B" <RWB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello I searched the xp forums and found some 2 yr old dated stuff and
> wanted
> to get a more recent update of opinions and information about registry
> cleaning software. From the search I found this was a highly emotional
> subject back when. Anyhow, all I want it your honest opinions and
> experience
> with these things. And bottom line, are there any dependable ones that
> actually do any good.
> To start with I will give you my story. In 2006 I bought my first
> registry
> product called Regcure, it crashed my machine and had to do a restore. I
> got
> a refund and then tried MaxRegistry cleaner (yea I'm a sucker for
> punishment)
> it seemed to run ok (i.e. no machine crashes) and I kept it (and used it)
> until the year's subscription ran out and then tried RegistryFix, it broke
> one of my old Cad apps but I did not find out until it was too late to get
> refund. A friend of mine used RegistryEasy and it broke his XP
> start->help&support, but he found a vbs script that fixed that.
> So at present I am thinking of just giving up on Registry apps and
> excluding myself from the "sucker born every minute" group that P.T.
> Barnum
> spoke of. But I just wanted an outside opinion just to make sure of the
> current status of these things. They seem to be selling faster than Win7.
> Appreciate any input.

Most will still tell you to steer clear of registry cleaners. Those that do
recommend them seem to like CCleaner.

I have never used and never had to use a registry cleaner on any of my
computers and my oldest currently has XP home upgraded from Windows ME (not
a clean install) and has been merrily plugging away now since XP came out.
It is current with all SP and updates and is loaded with software that
almost never fails to function properly. If something crashes a simple
reboot works wonders but that only has to be done about once a week. The
machine is only turned off when I go away on vacation, otherwise it is on
24/7 and acts as a peer to peer file server as well as a production machine.

From: Peter Foldes on
I would not use any of them. They are all snake oil remedies. Basically when you use
any Reg Cleaning tool including the CCleaner one is playing Russian Roulette with
your system. You might get away with any one of themfor a month a year or even a
couple of years but in the end it will bite you as you very well know from
experience

--
Peter

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:22:01 -0700, R_W_B
<RWB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello I searched the xp forums and found some 2 yr old dated stuff and wanted
> to get a more recent update of opinions and information about registry
> cleaning software. From the search I found this was a highly emotional
> subject back when. Anyhow, all I want it your honest opinions and experience
> with these things. And bottom line, are there any dependable ones that
> actually do any good.

Yes, it's still "emotional" in the sense that you will get different
opinions from different people. Here's my standard reply on this
subject:

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 |  Next  |  Last