From: iforone on
> > * SMB-HOWTO
> >
> > Updated: Apr 2000. How to use the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol,
> > also called the Session Message Block, NetBIOS or LanManager protocol,
> > with Linux using Samba.
> >
> > * Samba-Authenticated-Gateway-HOWTO
> >
> > Updated: Jan 2005. How to build a Firewall/Gateway with rules set on user
> > basis having the users authenticated by a Samba Primary Domain
> > Controller.
> >
> > and (depending on your distribution) a LARGE amount of documentation that
> > comes with the Samba package(s).
> >
> > Old guy

> MANY THANKS TO BOTH Moe Trin and The Natural Philosopher

Firstly;
the other two responders are WAY WAY more experienced than I am, in
both Linux and networking...with that said;

Have you installed the GNU/Linux system as a "File Server" ?
I ask (...we have no idea what Linux distribution and/or version you're
using) because when I recently reinstalled Debian Sarge 3.1r1 (kernel
2.4.27-2-686), I *also* chose _File Server_ from the list of options at
some time during the installation (Some of the choices are Desktop
System, File Server, Mail Server, etc). By doing so I was presented
with MANY options about configuring the network and SAMBA specifically,
and all those necessary components were installed.

Just something to chew on