From: Linux_France on
i need all your help...

i want to put a domain, but the thing is the named services is started
perfectly but when i try to connect to my windows client with the linux
domain, then i get the error "Domain controller for the domain could
not be contacted", if it works i must get the login screen, but i dont
get that.

ip is 192.168.0.10
gateway is 192.168.0.10
primary dns is 192.168.0.10

after giving the command
"services named restart"
then i checked for the errors in /var/log/messages
i found the following messages

shutting down : flushing changes
stopping command channel on 127.0.0.1#953
no longer listeing on 127.0.0.1#53
no longer listeing on 192.168.0.10#53
exiting
succeeded
named startup succeeded
no IPV6 interfaces found
listening on IPV4 interface lo, 127.0.0.1#53
listening on IPV4 interface eth0, 192.168.0.10#53
command channel listening on 127.0.0.10#953
runnig

HELP ME OUT

regards

Ameen

From: Linux_France on
sorry i might have told wrongly, i'm not experienced in linux.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Linux_France wrote:
> sorry i might have told wrongly, i'm not experienced in linux.

Its networking you are not experienced in.

SMB protocols - although they do these days run over TC/IP are in fact a
protocol that goes back to non TCP/IP days.

Samba is a package which more or less duplicates their use over TCP/IP
and allows windoze machines to be fooled into thinking there is an NT
server on the network...if you set it up right.

Its not trivial to get exactly what you want, as there are lots of
complex options like domains, domain controllers - masters and
slaves..not to mention encrypted and unencrypted passwords..

Persevere though, because it works really well once you have it the way
you want it.
From: Moe Trin on
On 1 Apr 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
<1143964490.647488.155330(a)z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, Linux_France wrote:

>sorry i might have told wrongly, i'm not experienced in linux.

Think of that for a moment - do you have to log in to an Internet
name server to resolve www.google.com? Nope. The microsoft 'domain'
is similar in _concept_ to the UNIX (actually Sun Microsystems) 'NIS'
or 'Network Information Service" that allows central databases such
as passwords, hosts, services, and so on, and is well established
as part of the C library. There is an old NIS-HOWTO that gives
background on that system. There are also two HOWTOs relating to Samba

* SMB-HOWTO

Updated: Apr 2000. How to use the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol,
also called the Session Message Block, NetBIOS or LanManager protocol,
with Linux using Samba.

* Samba-Authenticated-Gateway-HOWTO

Updated: Jan 2005. How to build a Firewall/Gateway with rules set on user
basis having the users authenticated by a Samba Primary Domain
Controller.

and (depending on your distribution) a LARGE amount of documentation that
comes with the Samba package(s).

Old guy
From: Linux_France on

Moe Trin wrote:
> On 1 Apr 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
> <1143964490.647488.155330(a)z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, Linux_France wrote:
>
> >sorry i might have told wrongly, i'm not experienced in linux.
>
> Think of that for a moment - do you have to log in to an Internet
> name server to resolve www.google.com? Nope. The microsoft 'domain'
> is similar in _concept_ to the UNIX (actually Sun Microsystems) 'NIS'
> or 'Network Information Service" that allows central databases such
> as passwords, hosts, services, and so on, and is well established
> as part of the C library. There is an old NIS-HOWTO that gives
> background on that system. There are also two HOWTOs relating to Samba
>
> * SMB-HOWTO
>
> Updated: Apr 2000. How to use the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol,
> also called the Session Message Block, NetBIOS or LanManager protocol,
> with Linux using Samba.
>
> * Samba-Authenticated-Gateway-HOWTO
>
> Updated: Jan 2005. How to build a Firewall/Gateway with rules set on user
> basis having the users authenticated by a Samba Primary Domain
> Controller.
>
> and (depending on your distribution) a LARGE amount of documentation that
> comes with the Samba package(s).
>
> Old guy

MANY THANKS TO BOTH Moe Trin and The Natural Philosopher