From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
+1

Don Varnau wrote:
> Hi,
> You don't mention an OS, but this should be safe for Vista or Win 7.
>
> Create and run the script/bat file by OnyXxl in this thread:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/e312e580-1cbc-496b-8c6b-b69b8535a7bb
>
> It's, in effect, a repair tool for 32-bit IE8 on 64-bit systems.
>
>> "Suren" <Suren(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I have tried all the methods mentioned in the microsoft support website
>>> fix the problem. However I still have the issue that I cannot connect to
>>> internet using the 32-bit version of the internet explorer. I can
>>> connect
>>> to internet using 64-bit version.
>>> The website I used and followed the direction (that hasn't worked)
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/956196
>>> Actions taken so far and none of the actions worked....
>>> - followed intructions on the above web link
>>> - uninstalled norton 360
>>> - disabled windows firewall
>>> - start system in safe mode
>>> - start IE w/o add ons
>>> - perfomed virus scans
>>> - performed registry scans
>>>
>>> Anyone has suggestions on how to fix the above error message and have
>>> the
>>> IE 32-bit version to work?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Suren

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"Peter Foldes" <okf22(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OlnGwN8iKHA.1420(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>[ crossposted to the IE newsgroup for a more comprehensive answer]
>
> --
> Peter

> "Suren" <Suren(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07FF253C-9AC7-4D6D-8A06-F9FAF4FC405F(a)microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>> I have tried all the methods mentioned in the microsoft support website to
>> fix the problem. However I still have the issue that I cannot connect to
>> internet using the 32-bit version of the internet explorer. I can connect to
>> internet using 64-bit version.

>> The website I used and followed the direction (that hasn't worked)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/956196
>> Actions taken so far and none of the actions worked....
>> - followed intructions on the above web link

Much of which are diagnostics, so what were the results of those tests?

>> - uninstalled norton 360

>> - disabled windows firewall

It's third-party firewalls which are usually a problem, not the Windows firewall.

From: Andy Medina on
On several computers where we uninstalled a Norton Internet Security
product, we have had a few weird problems where ftp, telnet and even https
would work, but http would not. Ran the Norton Removal Tool and the problem
disappeared. Seems the firewall portion of the Norton product did not
properly uninstall and was interfering with http traffic.

Norton Removal Tool:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&selected_nav=partner