From: Steve on
I want to run this by some computer smart people to decrease my chances
of doing something I regret (again).

My old computer picked up a Trojan (I assume). I did it to myself. I got
an e-mail from a company I knew and they wanted me to take a survey. I
was in a generous mood and decided to do it. On about the 3rd page my
computer suddenly started working on something and Firefox froze and had
to close. Foolishly, I opened it again and tried to continue! In my
defense, that computer is over 8 years old and often gets into trouble.
Avira then popped up 2 windows with warnings. I think (not sure now)
that the Avira warnings went away on their own before I could read them.
I closed everything and scanned my computer immediately with Avira. It
found some things and eliminated them. I hoped I was done.

Two days later I get a message from my ISP, Time Warner, saying that
spam is coming from a computer on this account. I wrote back saying I
believed I had fixed the problem. Then it happened again. Avira finds
nothing new. I did various online scans and the free scan at McAfee
claimed to find 5 things. Most notably, it found Hiloti.gen. The scan
was free but they offered no help other than try to sell their product
to me.

I can't find a way to get rid of it so that old computer is no longer
connected to the internet.

This is getting way too long. Enough background, let me jump to my
questions.

The new computer will arrive tomorrow and it comes with 6 months of
McAfee. I, long ago, put a 2nd hard drive in the old computer. I have
been moving things to that 2nd drive with the intention of moving that
drive into the new computer. I have moved my bookmarks, my address book,
tons of pictures, assorted other files and a few programs. I would scan
it right away once it is hooked up to the new computer. I would think
there wouldn't be any virus or Trojans on that drive. Does anyone think
this is unwise?

Similar question: Would it be risky to hook up the old C drive to the
new computer and see if McAfee can get rid of the original problem on
that drive? I could just format that drive and forget it but I wouldn't
do that right away in case there is something on there that I need and
forgot to move.

What do you all think?

Steve in the Adirondacks
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Steve" <tlswilso(a)aol.com>

< snip >

| The new computer will arrive tomorrow and it comes with 6 months of
| McAfee. I, long ago, put a 2nd hard drive in the old computer. I have
| been moving things to that 2nd drive with the intention of moving that
| drive into the new computer. I have moved my bookmarks, my address book,
| tons of pictures, assorted other files and a few programs. I would scan
| it right away once it is hooked up to the new computer. I would think
| there wouldn't be any virus or Trojans on that drive. Does anyone think
| this is unwise?

| Similar question: Would it be risky to hook up the old C drive to the
| new computer and see if McAfee can get rid of the original problem on
| that drive? I could just format that drive and forget it but I wouldn't
| do that right away in case there is something on there that I need and
| forgot to move.

| What do you all think?

| Steve in the Adirondacks

On the new PC, DUMP McAfee ASAP!

Replace it with Avira AntiVir.

Then you can you remove the hard disk from the affected PC and and connect to the new PC
(USB to hard disk enclosure ?).

Use Avira AntiVir and SCAN the affected hard disk(s).

Once completed you can then port the data from the affected hard disk(s) to the
replacement computer.

--
Dave

From: Steve on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Steve" <tlswilso(a)aol.com>
>

> < snip >
>
> | The new computer will arrive tomorrow and it comes with 6 months of
> | McAfee. I, long ago, put a 2nd hard drive in the old computer. I have
> | been moving things to that 2nd drive with the intention of moving that
> | drive into the new computer. I have moved my bookmarks, my address book,
> | tons of pictures, assorted other files and a few programs. I would scan
> | it right away once it is hooked up to the new computer. I would think
> | there wouldn't be any virus or Trojans on that drive. Does anyone think
> | this is unwise?
>
> | Similar question: Would it be risky to hook up the old C drive to the
> | new computer and see if McAfee can get rid of the original problem on
> | that drive? I could just format that drive and forget it but I wouldn't
> | do that right away in case there is something on there that I need and
> | forgot to move.
>
> | What do you all think?
>
> | Steve in the Adirondacks
>
> On the new PC, DUMP McAfee ASAP!
>
> Replace it with Avira AntiVir.
>
> Then you can you remove the hard disk from the affected PC and and connect to the new PC
> (USB to hard disk enclosure ?).
>
> Use Avira AntiVir and SCAN the affected hard disk(s).
>
> Once completed you can then port the data from the affected hard disk(s) to the
> replacement computer.

I'm surprised that you say that. I like Avira and would probably go back
to that when my 6 months with Mcafee is done. The online McAfee scan
from their web site claimed to find 5 things that Avira doesn't find. Of
course that could be a gimmick to get me to buy McAfee. I recently
scanned my computer with STOPzilla. It claimed to find 144 adware
threats. Yeah right. Getting rid of STOPzilla was almost as hard as
getting rid of a virus. They REALLY wanted me to pay them money to get
rid of those 144 threats.

I guess I'll at least scan everything with McAfee after the new computer
comes. It will be interesting to see if it finds exactly what the online
scan found. It also might be interesting to have the online program scan
my brand new, pristine, computer and see if it claims to find anything
there.

Steve
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Steve" <tlswilso(a)aol.com>

| I'm surprised that you say that. I like Avira and would probably go back
| to that when my 6 months with Mcafee is done. The online McAfee scan
| from their web site claimed to find 5 things that Avira doesn't find. Of
| course that could be a gimmick to get me to buy McAfee. I recently
| scanned my computer with STOPzilla. It claimed to find 144 adware
| threats. Yeah right. Getting rid of STOPzilla was almost as hard as
| getting rid of a virus. They REALLY wanted me to pay them money to get
| rid of those 144 threats.

| I guess I'll at least scan everything with McAfee after the new computer
| comes. It will be interesting to see if it finds exactly what the online
| scan found. It also might be interesting to have the online program scan
| my brand new, pristine, computer and see if it claims to find anything
| there.

| Steve

McAfee has gone down hill. In fact, I submitted a malicious PDF to them (via WebImmune)
on May 15th. To this day McAfee *STILL* does not recognize the PDF as being malicious. I
din't just submit the file onece. I have submitted since 5/15/09 numerous time yet as of
Yesterday, no recognition. I even told them HOW the file was malicious with the
decrypted, decoded, shellcode and the resultant URL used when the PDF exploits were
succesful.

Forget the 6 months. Remove McAfee NOW, well ASAP but don't wait 6 months and install
Avira AntiVir.

Then you can install my Multi AV Scanning Tool which provides the McAfee Command line, On
Demand, scanner which uses the SAME signatures as the full blown product. It also
provides scanners from Sophos, Trend Micro and Kaspersky.

Then you can have AntiVir installed on the new system and STILL scan the affected drives
with McAfee (with removal capability).

As for StopZilla -- Junk !

On the new PC, install Malwarebytes' Anti Malware (MBAM). MBAM is much more effective at
non-viral malware and MBAM and AntiVir make a nice pair.

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.pctip.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

Dave

From: John on

"Steve" <tlswilso(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm surprised that you say that. I like Avira and would probably go back
> to that when my 6 months with Mcafee is done. The online McAfee scan from
> their web site claimed to find 5 things that Avira doesn't find.

AFAIK there's no antivirus capable of detecting 100% of all known (and not
yet known) viruses. I'm positive some other AV may detect more bad stuff
that McAfee/Avira/you-name-it can't find.

I use Avira at home. I like it but I think it's overly sensitive even at its
default configuration. Avira detects HP software (comes with my brand new HP
Pavillion desktop) as malicious software. I've seen it detect a few
legitimate software as malicious software. Go figure.