From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"John" <a> wrote in message

> "Steve" <tlswilso(a)aol.com> wrote in message
>> I'm surprised that you say that. I like Avira and would probably go
>> back to that when my 6 months with Mcafee is done. The online McAfee
>> scan from their web site claimed to find 5 things that Avira doesn't
>> find.
>
> AFAIK there's no antivirus capable of detecting 100% of all known (and
> not yet known) viruses. I'm positive some other AV may detect more bad
> stuff that McAfee/Avira/you-name-it can't find.
>
> I use Avira at home. I like it but I think it's overly sensitive even
> at its default configuration. Avira detects HP software (comes with my
> brand new HP Pavillion desktop) as malicious software. I've seen it
> detect a few legitimate software as malicious software. Go figure.

Same here. AntiVir and ClamWin (and MBAM) have alerted from time to time
on IBM Tools on my Thinkpad. It usually clears after some updates - I'm
guessing that they address FPs as they become evident.

I suppose it is hard enough to do QC on all possible software platforms
(OSes). Even harder to encompass all possible software coming bundled
with the hardware platform. Maybe someone could host most of these known
"tools" on the web so that the writers of the def files can throw them
against these real world files as a QC test set.

From: Hot-text on
8 years old is it a Win98
if is put AVAST Version 4.8 Home Edition - Free Antivirus on the Old PC
first and Kill that Trojan!

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Hot-text" <hot-text(a)hotmail.com>

| 8 years old is it a Win98
| if is put AVAST Version 4.8 Home Edition - Free Antivirus on the Old PC
| first and Kill that Trojan!

Avast no longer supports Win9x/ME.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Steve" <tlswilso(a)aol.com>

< snip >

| Other good news, I think: In spite of what the adds said, this computer
| didn't come with McAfee after all. After I got it set up, it turned out
| to have 60 days of Norton Internet Security. I updated it and scanned
| the (new) computer. It found a tracking cookie. I did look at some other
| sites before I went to McAfee so I'm not saying that's where it came from.

| Steve

Take my previous advice.

Replace Norton for McAfee.

Remove it !

--
Dave

From: John on

"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> It usually clears after some updates - I'm guessing that they address FPs
> as they become evident.

Yup, that's exactly what I'm experiencing.