From: Jack on
First let me say that I mistyped and I still have IE6. I installed
AVG about 5-6 years ago. At that time I probably uninstalled Norton.
Thanks for your willingness to help.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or
upgrading) cleanly. Assuming it was a Norton 2003 (or newer) application:

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't
TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

From: Jack on
I downloaded the file. When I executed it, I got a window titled
Error Starting Program. In the window it said "The
c:\WINDOWS\TEMP\7ZS50C0.TMP\SYMNRT.EXE FILE expects a newer version of
Windows. Upgrade you Windows version. It has an OK button. When
clicked, it gives another window that is titled SymNRT.exe and in the
window is a message that says "A device attached to the system is not
functioning" There is an OK button which, when clicked displays
another window titled 7-zip and has the message "can not open file"

What should I do now?

From: Hot-text on
Expects a newer version of Windows.
PABearMVP is a 99.98% at times!
if you your running WIN98 and you need a older version of
Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Looks like it's not Win980-compatible.

You might try