From: Star on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:43:11 GMT, jplasater(a)NOSPAMjuno.com (Jack)
wrote:

>THanks for the reply. I have a card reader on my 98 machine where my
>Lotus now resides. Actually I have Release 5. I also have a SD card
>reader that I use for backup. Can I just copy all the files from the
>floppy's on to an SD card and then, when I want to install it on a new
>computer(without a floppy) simply connect the card reader to the USB
>port, find and double click the Install.exe file?
>
>My Word Perfect is Version 6.1 and the file that installs it is
>Setup.exe. Can I do the same thing as above for this?
>
>Will these old versions of the Lotus and WordPerfect install and
>operate on the new computers with Windows 7? I was able to install
>them on my XP machine through its floppy reader. .

I have been a long time away from Lotus123 and never used WordPerfect
so my answers reflect this.
If the install programs are on several floppy disks then you will have
to make a separate directory (disk1, disk2 etc) for each disk then
copy the floppy to the directory (floppy1 to disk1). The main program
that I transferred to flash drive and then installed from the flash
drive was Borland Quattro (Lotus clone) and Wordstar. I first made
directories on the HDD and copied from the floppy. I then checked for
duplicate files and Wordstar had none so I made this into one
directory and copied to the flash drive and was able to do the install
from the flash drive. The Borland Quattro had duplicate files on each
floppy so I kept the files in separate directories and copied them to
the flash drive and again ran the install file. Both worked correctly
on my XP system as did MSOffice 97. I dropped Quattro and WordStar
and use Office 97 on my Vista and now Windows 7.
Takes a little time doing the copy, search, and test but if your files
are very important to you this is one way to do it.

PS If I had it to do over I would update my Word processor and
Spreadsheet software then get a converter program that would convert
my data files to the format of my new software. There are limits as to
what programs can run on later operating systems so there is no magic
bullet to fix this.

Art