From: Dave C. on

"Budgie" <pju(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message

> If you run XP SP2 and Explorer 6, and if you've been faithfully installing
> updates, go to Add/remove programs and remove Security Update 942615.
>
> I did, and it now works perfectly again.

Thanks for the tip, Budgie. I have XP SP2, Explorer 6 and my updates are
current. I don't know if this affects the registry, but I will back it up
with ERUNT just in case.

Regards, Dave C.

From: Budgie on
"Dave C." <myaddress(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for the tip, Budgie. I have XP SP2, Explorer 6 and my updates are
> current. I don't know if this affects the registry, but I will back it up
> with ERUNT just in case.

It is a known problem for Microsoft.

There is another work-around which involves modifying the registry, which is
in the Knowledge Base - Article ID 946627 of 19 Dec 2007.

However, deletion seems to work just as well!

I also had to set that particular update not to download again.

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

From: Paul on
Budgie wrote:
> "Dave C." <myaddress(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the tip, Budgie. I have XP SP2, Explorer 6 and my updates are
>> current. I don't know if this affects the registry, but I will back it up
>> with ERUNT just in case.
>>

> It is a known problem for Microsoft.
>
> There is another work-around which involves modifying the registry, which is
> in the Knowledge Base - Article ID 946627 of 19 Dec 2007.
>
> However, deletion seems to work just as well!
>
> I also had to set that particular update not to download again.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CC096493-367D-4D28-80AB-2A70139AE839&displaylang=en

946627 is a download now. Page is dated 12/20/2007. I saw this
mentioned in reader comments on Anandtech. So instead of
registry hacking, now there is an executable to run.

Paul
From: Dave C. on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:fkgojr$l4h$1(a)aioe.org...
> Budgie wrote:
>> "Dave C." <myaddress(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the tip, Budgie. I have XP SP2, Explorer 6 and my updates
>>> are current. I don't know if this affects the registry, but I will back
>>> it up with ERUNT just in case.
>>>

>> It is a known problem for Microsoft.
>>
>> There is another work-around which involves modifying the registry, which
>> is in the Knowledge Base - Article ID 946627 of 19 Dec 2007.
>>
>> However, deletion seems to work just as well!
>>
>> I also had to set that particular update not to download again.
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CC096493-367D-4D28-80AB-2A70139AE839&displaylang=en
>
> 946627 is a download now. Page is dated 12/20/2007. I saw this
> mentioned in reader comments on Anandtech. So instead of
> registry hacking, now there is an executable to run.
>
> Paul

Paul, just ran update from the above link with total success. I am keeping
all the information you and Budgie in a separate file for future reference.
I suspect (and would hope) that a future Microsoft update will include this.

Thanks for making this information quickly available.

Dave C.