From: Dave C. on
I used to get an occassional error message (described below) once in a
while, but now, I get it almost every time I try go to a web site, Google,
etc. After trying a couple of times, then I go on line OK.

The message in the dialog box is:

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
sorry for the inconvenience."

Clicking on more information it is related to:

"Error signature....iexplore.exe.....ModName:urlmon.dll

I have a five year old Dell 8300 Dimension, P-4, factory installed XP Pro
and Comcast ISP.
Critical updates are current. This seems to be more frequent since my
recent critical update.

I do not have the problem when I go on to Outlook Express or this newsgroup.

Hoping for some help, Dave C.

From: sandy58 on
On Dec 20, 9:59 pm, "Dave C." <myaddr...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> I used to get an occassional error message (described below) once in a
> while, but now, I get it almost every time I try go to a web site, Google,
> etc. After trying a couple of times, then I go on line OK.
>
> The message in the dialog box is:
>
> "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> sorry for the inconvenience."
>
> Clicking on more information it is related to:
>
> "Error signature....iexplore.exe.....ModName:urlmon.dll
>
> I have a five year old Dell 8300 Dimension, P-4, factory installed XP Pro
> and Comcast ISP.
> Critical updates are current. This seems to be more frequent since my
> recent critical update.
>
> I do not have the problem when I go on to Outlook Express or this newsgroup.
>
> Hoping for some help, Dave C.

Dump it & use Mozilla Firefox.
From: Paul on
Dave C. wrote:
> I used to get an occassional error message (described below) once in a
> while, but now, I get it almost every time I try go to a web site, Google,
> etc. After trying a couple of times, then I go on line OK.
>

> The message in the dialog box is:
>
> "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> sorry for the inconvenience."
>
> Clicking on more information it is related to:
>
> "Error signature....iexplore.exe.....ModName:urlmon.dll
>
> I have a five year old Dell 8300 Dimension, P-4, factory installed XP Pro
> and Comcast ISP.
> Critical updates are current. This seems to be more frequent since my
> recent critical update.
>
> I do not have the problem when I go on to Outlook Express or this newsgroup.
>
> Hoping for some help, Dave C.

This one has some of the same ingredients.

"On a Windows XP SP2-based computer that has certain cumulative security updates
for Internet Explorer installed, Internet Explorer 6 may stop responding when
you try to visit a Web site"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367

Paul

From: Dave C. on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:fkeskm$cs4$1(a)aioe.org...

> This one has some of the same ingredients.
>
> "On a Windows XP SP2-based computer that has certain cumulative security
> updates
> for Internet Explorer installed, Internet Explorer 6 may stop responding
> when
> you try to visit a Web site"
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367
>
> Paul

Hi Paul, that bulletin describes this issue fairly closely. It mentions
that the next update probably will have the appropriate hotfix, and I think
I will wait for it. This is only a nuisance at the present time.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Kind dregards,

Dave C.

From: Budgie on
"Dave C." <myaddress(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used to get an occassional error message (described below) once in a
> while, but now, I get it almost every time I try go to a web site, Google,
> etc. After trying a couple of times, then I go on line OK.
>

> The message in the dialog box is:
>
> "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> sorry for the inconvenience."
>
> Clicking on more information it is related to:
>
> "Error signature....iexplore.exe.....ModName:urlmon.dll
>
> I have a five year old Dell 8300 Dimension, P-4, factory installed XP Pro
> and Comcast ISP.
> Critical updates are current. This seems to be more frequent since my
> recent critical update.
>
> I do not have the problem when I go on to Outlook Express or this
> newsgroup.

If you run XP SP2 and Explorer 6, and if you've been faithfully installing
updates, go to Add/remove programs and remove Security Update 942615.

I did, and it now works perfectly again.

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.