From: FromTheRafters on
"Warren Smith" <warren.smith(a)aol.com.au> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this bug.
>
> I've Googled it, but the websites that I've arrived at are just out to
> set anti-virus software. My PC is jammed packed with anti-viral
> software but it didn't stop my present problem.

Well ... it's not a virus anyway.

You should supplement your pack of AV software with some antimalware
programs. MBAM and SAS are often recommended here.

> Who do I trust? It's a nightmare out there in virus land!

There *are* viruses, but this isn't one of them.

> Ant ideas would be much appreciated.

....let's go to a picnic today.

From: Warren Smith on
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:36:47 +1100, Warren Smith wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this bug.
>
> I've Googled it, but the websites that I've arrived at are just out to
> set anti-virus software. My PC is jammed packed with anti-viral software
> but it didn't stop my present problem.
>
> Who do I trust? It's a nightmare out there in virus land!
>
> Ant ideas would be much appreciated.
>
> Warren Smith
> warren.smith(a)aol.com.au

Hey folks, thanks for the help, much appreciated. I wish had of asked you
folks sooner. I clicked on Search&Destroy and it made a mess of the
registry, so I ended up with a login -logout loop.

I'm now following the instructions at http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-
fixes/fix-windows-xp-log-onlog-off-loop/
in an effort at least get back into my system. Then I will follow your
instructions.

Wish me luck! I need it!

From: John Mason Jr on
On 2/1/2010 9:24 PM, Warren Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:36:47 +1100, Warren Smith wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this bug.
>>
>> I've Googled it, but the websites that I've arrived at are just out to
>> set anti-virus software. My PC is jammed packed with anti-viral software
>> but it didn't stop my present problem.
>>
>> Who do I trust? It's a nightmare out there in virus land!
>>
>> Ant ideas would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Warren Smith
>> warren.smith(a)aol.com.au
>

> Hey folks, thanks for the help, much appreciated. I wish had of asked you
> folks sooner. I clicked on Search&Destroy and it made a mess of the
> registry, so I ended up with a login -logout loop.
>
> I'm now following the instructions at http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-
> fixes/fix-windows-xp-log-onlog-off-loop/
> in an effort at least get back into my system. Then I will follow your
> instructions.
>
> Wish me luck! I need it!

This might help

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/07/02/how-to-edit-windows-registry-key-values-without-booting-in-windows/

The key
HKEY_USERS > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Winlogon

That normally points to userinit.exe

was most likely changed by malware to point to an infected file, when
the file is removed without changing the registry entry you can't login.

If you have a seconf pc and can slave the drive and figure out the name
of the file that was removed copy userinit.exe to that file name which
might work without changing the registry, but you'll need to fix
registry once you do login.

John
From: Warren Smith on

"Warren Smith" <warren.smith(a)aol.com.au> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this bug.
>
> I've Googled it, but the websites that I've arrived at are just out to set
> anti-virus software. My PC is jammed packed with anti-viral software but
> it didn't stop my present problem.
>
> Who do I trust? It's a nightmare out there in virus land!
>
> Ant ideas would be much appreciated.
>
> Warren Smith
> warren.smith(a)aol.com.au

Thanks again folks for the help. I finally finished it off with MalwareBytes
Antimalware.

All is well, apart from an error at bootup
Error Loading c\:windows\otejafabipere.dll
Any ideas?

TIA

Warren Smith