From: Mateusz_madi on
Write a regular expression to replace all occurrences of the letter
‘f’, followed by any number of characters, followed by the letter ‘a’,
followed by one or more numeric characters, followed by the letter
‘n’, and replace what’s found with the string “UNIX”.

Is it possible to do it with tr??

Madi
From: Rainer Weikusat on
Mateusz_madi <madi.czadi(a)gmail.com> writes:
> Write a regular expression to replace all occurrences of the letter
> 'f', followed by any number of characters, followed by the letter 'a',
> followed by one or more numeric characters, followed by the letter
> 'n', and replace what's found with the string “UNIX”.
>
> Is it possible to do it with tr??

No.
From: Mateusz_madi on
Can anybody help me with that please??
From: Eric Sosman on
On 5/26/2010 8:21 AM, Mateusz_madi wrote:
> Can anybody help me with that please??

(It would be helpful if you would quote enough context to make
your message intelligible on its own.)

You were given the answer, which is (as far as I can see)
correct. If you can't see why it's correct, I suggest you think
about what must happen with inputs like "zfza9nz".

--
Eric Sosman
esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid
From: John Gordon on
In <728b904c-8d4b-4168-bfe2-8d644083c364(a)r9g2000vbk.googlegroups.com> Mateusz_madi <madi.czadi(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Write a regular expression to [...]

> Is it possible to do it with tr??

No, because tr does not use regular expressions. It sounds like you
want sed, not tr.

gordon(a)panix.com B is for Basil, assaulted by bears