From: bob u on
Anybody an CM expert on chain motors?
I was recently setting up a gig where we were using 1 tons inverted
to pull up stacks of Vertecs.

A couple of them pissed and moaned and acted like a bad connection.
Talking to other people latter, i guess these are designed to be
used in one orientation, and there is an industrial model that will do both?

What exactly is the issues of inverting a stock entertainment CM?
Relay contacts or ?

bob
From: Audio1 on
bob u wrote:
> Anybody an CM expert on chain motors?
> I was recently setting up a gig where we were using 1 tons inverted
> to pull up stacks of Vertecs.
>
> A couple of them pissed and moaned and acted like a bad connection.
> Talking to other people latter, i guess these are designed to be
> used in one orientation, and there is an industrial model that will do
> both?
>
> What exactly is the issues of inverting a stock entertainment CM?
> Relay contacts or ?
>
> bob

In many units there's a cutoff switch that shuts off the motor if it
tips too far away from the expected angle of use. If you want to use
them inverted you have to open them up and turn the switch over.
From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 26/07/2010 03:34, in article i2iomt$s9o$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "bob u"
<sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:

> Anybody an CM expert on chain motors?
> I was recently setting up a gig where we were using 1 tons inverted
> to pull up stacks of Vertecs.
>
> A couple of them pissed and moaned and acted like a bad connection.
> Talking to other people latter, i guess these are designed to be
> used in one orientation, and there is an industrial model that will do both?
>
> What exactly is the issues of inverting a stock entertainment CM?
> Relay contacts or ?

Isn't "inverted" which apparently is rigging speak for "chain up, motor
down" the standard config of the CM Lodestars?

I know some of them can be used both ways, "inverted" and "non-inverted",
but I don't know if that's an optional feature.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: bob u on
On 7/26/2010 2:29 AM, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
> On 26/07/2010 03:34, in article i2iomt$s9o$1(a)speranza.aioe.org, "bob u"
> <sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody an CM expert on chain motors?
>> I was recently setting up a gig where we were using 1 tons inverted
>> to pull up stacks of Vertecs.
>>
>> A couple of them pissed and moaned and acted like a bad connection.
>> Talking to other people latter, i guess these are designed to be
>> used in one orientation, and there is an industrial model that will do both?
>>
>> What exactly is the issues of inverting a stock entertainment CM?
>> Relay contacts or ?
>
> Isn't "inverted" which apparently is rigging speak for "chain up, motor
> down" the standard config of the CM Lodestars?
>
> I know some of them can be used both ways, "inverted" and "non-inverted",
> but I don't know if that's an optional feature.

Inverted is hook up, chain down. Most arena rigging is done by dragging
the chain up to the steel, so standard config for entertainment chain
motor is chain up, hook down. Its a lot easier to pull up a chain than
a 1 or 2 ton chain motor to the steel...

Sometimes in a real grided theater you will see a chain motor dragged up
to the grid and used chain down.

bob
From: Bob Quintal on
Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in

> On 26/07/2010 03:34, in article i2iomt$s9o$1(a)speranza.aioe.org,
> "bob u" <sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody an CM expert on chain motors?
>> I was recently setting up a gig where we were using 1 tons
>> inverted to pull up stacks of Vertecs.
>>
>> A couple of them pissed and moaned and acted like a bad
>> connection. Talking to other people latter, i guess these are
>> designed to be used in one orientation, and there is an
>> industrial model that will do both?
>>
>> What exactly is the issues of inverting a stock entertainment CM?
>> Relay contacts or ?
>
> Isn't "inverted" which apparently is rigging speak for "chain up,
> motor down" the standard config of the CM Lodestars?
>
> I know some of them can be used both ways, "inverted" and
> "non-inverted", but I don't know if that's an optional feature.

CM Lodestars used in manufacturing, vehicle maintenance and warehousing
are used motor up, and that is the standard configuration. The "Rock &
Roll" option inverses the action of a safety brake pawl so that the
motor can climb its own chain. (disclaimer: I don't work for CM)