From: Paul Furman on
Terry Pinnell wrote:
> I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
> make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
> far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
> make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
> want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
> thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>
> Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
> current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?

Are you trying to create an Irfanview slide show that just lists the
file locations without copying? Holding down the control key you can
add, subtract & double click to preview. Or you can change the explorer
view to large thumbs in the slide show selection dialog box.

The way I use Irfanview for culling favorites is to set the move-to
folder under options > properties > file handling tab. You could also
use copy. Then just go through the set in full screen mode & tap F7 to
move files into a 'seconds' folder or F8 to copy into a folder. I almost
never use Irfanview's thumbnail view.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: John Weston on
In article <1h58k496m5l2sad6q8p7o212gb36u9gsbr(a)4ax.com>,
Sorry(a)No_Address.Com says...

> You cannot interrupt the selection process, put it aside to view some
> slide and then come back to selecting again.
>
> IrfanVIew is expecting you to do something with the selcted items. If
> you do not, then you have in effect abandoned the selection process
> and you are back to square one.
>
> How about selecting bigger Thumbnails so you don't have to go see the
> original slide?

Well, the method I suggested earlier works fine on my copy of Irfanview.
Don't release the Ctrl key when you double click a thumbnail to view it
at a larger resolution. On closing this and returning to the thumbnails
window you'll still have all your selections maintained.

- I've just rechecked this... The clue is to keep the Ctrl key pressed.

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
From: Irwell on
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:46:30 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
>> make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
>> far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
>> make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
>> want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
>> thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>>
>> Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
>> current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?
>
> Are you trying to create an Irfanview slide show that just lists the
> file locations without copying? Holding down the control key you can
> add, subtract & double click to preview. Or you can change the explorer
> view to large thumbs in the slide show selection dialog box.
>
> The way I use Irfanview for culling favorites is to set the move-to
> folder under options > properties > file handling tab. You could also
> use copy. Then just go through the set in full screen mode & tap F7 to
> move files into a 'seconds' folder or F8 to copy into a folder. I almost
> never use Irfanview's thumbnail view.

That's the method I use as well, easy to do.
From: Marty on
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 23:50:34 -0000, John Weston
<invalid(a)earlsway.invalid> wrote:

>In article <1h58k496m5l2sad6q8p7o212gb36u9gsbr(a)4ax.com>,
>Sorry(a)No_Address.Com says...
>

>> You cannot interrupt the selection process, put it aside to view some
>> slide and then come back to selecting again.
>>
>> IrfanVIew is expecting you to do something with the selcted items. If
>> you do not, then you have in effect abandoned the selection process
>> and you are back to square one.
>>
>> How about selecting bigger Thumbnails so you don't have to go see the
>> original slide?
>
>Well, the method I suggested earlier works fine on my copy of Irfanview.
>Don't release the Ctrl key when you double click a thumbnail to view it
>at a larger resolution. On closing this and returning to the thumbnails
>window you'll still have all your selections maintained.
>
>- I've just rechecked this... The clue is to keep the Ctrl key pressed.

John, I didn't know this and obviously I must have missed it in your
earlier post. Thanks.

Marty

From: Terry Pinnell on
Ron Hunter <rphunter(a)charter.net> wrote:

>DavidM wrote:
>> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>> I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to browse a large folder of photos to
>>> make a selection of 50 or so for inclusion in a family DVD. This is
>>> far preferable to the XP folders, whose thumbnails are too small to
>>> make a proper assessment. Even so, when I see a candidate I usually
>>> want to view it properly. But as soon as I do so, any selection of
>>> thumbnails I've made up until then is lost.
>>>
>>> Am I missing anything here please? Is there some way to preserve the
>>> current selection (made with Ctl+left click), while viewing images?
>>
>> Others have mentioned a tagging feature in faststone. I've not used
>> that, but XnView does it as well. Just press Ctrl+T while on a file, or
>> click the little tag box in the corner of each thunbnail. Selections are
>> maintained while you do other things, and tagged files can then be
>> moved/copied/processed in batch etc.
>>
>> I know how annoying it can be to carefully select images, then loose all
>> that work by a simple slip of the mouse or lapse in attention.
>>
>> Like the other suggestions, XnView is free and very powerful, well worth
>> testing.
>>
>> hth
>>
>> DavidM
>It should be noted that it is possible to specify the size of the
>thumbnail images in Windows Explorer.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Or, if I did, I'd forgotten.

For others who prefer less cryptic help, here's the result of the
subsequent brief research I've just done.

The following XP registry key appears to determine size and quality:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"ThumbnailSize"=dword:00000100

I've changed mine now to 200 pixels, so that key now looks like this:

ThumbnailSize REG_DWORD 0x000000c8 (200)

---------

But, as me(a)mine.net pointed out up-thread, TweakUI is a fast way to
change this setting. I'm embarrassed to say that in all the years I've
used this excellent utility I'd never used the thumbnail section.

I reckon that larger size will satisfy most of my needs now. I'm using
the My Computer folders all the time as a base for projects, so
viewing and selecting from there comes naturally, now that I can see
the thumbnails so much better at 200 px than the 96 px they were
before. What impact it has on performance, such as folder-opening
time, remains to be seen.

---------

Many thanks for all the other helpful suggestions. I do have both
FastStone and XnView. Hardly used either as I just got into habit of
using IrfanView. But I will at least check out FastStone again, as I
recognise it as potentially superior to IrfanView in some ways.

I'm unlikely to switch though. Partly through inertia and the need for
re-learning. But also because I have a dozen or so macros (written
with Macro Express) that involve IrfanView. These let me perform a
variety of fairly complex tasks, either within IrfanView or
interacting with other applications.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK