From: Tony the insider on
The expected announcement date for the D700x is Dec. 20. D700x has
everything the D700 has, except the shooting rate at full resolution.
The sensor is 24+ MP - while Nikon isn't officially admitting this,
it is the one used in the Sony alpha-900. The D700 will be officially
discontinued then, as by shooting at 12 MP the D700x will match its
burst speed so the D700 is redundant. Price is a big question but
expect the USD price to be well above that of the D700.
Personally, I am surprised, I expected first a D3x aka D4. Given that
the high-dollar market is with the Hassies, EOS-1DS MkIII and the 37
MP Leica vaporcam, and the global downturn, perhaps Tokyo decided that
sector is overcrowded?
Any event, D700 was just as good as the D3 in construction, only speed
was a difference. Did I forget to say D700x has the 25.6K ISO setting?
Source of the news is 100% reliable, my buddy in Nikon Japan. Read
more on http://nikonrumors.com when they eventually wake up. :)
Tony (Nikon fan since the S3)

From: RichA on
Nikon needs to step up more. 40 megapixels on a 45mm sensor.

From: Alan Browne on
RichA wrote:
> Nikon needs to step up more. 40 megapixels on a 45mm sensor.

Don't top post.

They need a 36x24 at 20 Mpix or more first. I don't suppose it occurs
to you that their DSLR market is Nikon lens owners?

It would be nice if they made an MF system, but it would take them a
long time to establish themselves. At least they would likely be less
costly than Hass and Leica. But v. Mamiya?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
From: Me Here on

"RichA" <obama(a)haslittletime.com> wrote in message
> Nikon needs to step up more. 40 megapixels on a 45mm sensor.

Why, then they would have to get a new lens system.

From: Alan Browne on
Me Here wrote:
> "RichA" <obama(a)haslittletime.com> wrote in message
>> Nikon needs to step up more. 40 megapixels on a 45mm sensor.
>>
> Why, then they would have to get a new lens system.

Lucrative that. And as a by-product you make lenses for the Hassy's
(which use Fujinon lenses); Mamiya's, Leaf's, Phase One, Leica S2, ... etc.

I don't see Nikon doing this, but you never know...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.