From: Cynicor on
I went to see a friend's band last night in Brooklyn. Before I headed
over, I went down to the waterfront to take a couple of photos of
Manhattan. I went down a street right at the East River where I saw some
people congregated, and set up. There were older two guys sitting there
drinking beer and smoking.

After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two
blocks over."

I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in
the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys
then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.

http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB
From: Marvin on
Cynicor wrote:
> I went to see a friend's band last night in Brooklyn. Before I headed
> over, I went down to the waterfront to take a couple of photos of
> Manhattan. I went down a street right at the East River where I saw some
> people congregated, and set up. There were older two guys sitting there
> drinking beer and smoking.
>
> After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
> almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two
> blocks over."
>
> I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
> wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
> continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in
> the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys
> then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
>
> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB

Googlre maps showed me where Huron Street is. I never went
there when I grew up in Brooklyn, because the docks area was
unsafe. The closest I'd go was on Fifth Avenue. It has been
gentrified lately, but those one of the old-timer wouldn't
know because he doesn't go there.

It is easy to tell when a neighborhood gentrifies in New
York City. The bodegas become boutiques.
From: Cynicor on
Marvin wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>> I went to see a friend's band last night in Brooklyn. Before I headed
>> over, I went down to the waterfront to take a couple of photos of
>> Manhattan. I went down a street right at the East River where I saw
>> some people congregated, and set up. There were older two guys sitting
>> there drinking beer and smoking.
>>
>> After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
>> almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two
>> blocks over."
>>
>> I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
>> wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
>> continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in
>> the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two
>> guys then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
>>
>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB
>
> Googlre maps showed me where Huron Street is. I never went there when I
> grew up in Brooklyn, because the docks area was unsafe. The closest I'd
> go was on Fifth Avenue. It has been gentrified lately, but those one of
> the old-timer wouldn't know because he doesn't go there.
>
> It is easy to tell when a neighborhood gentrifies in New York City. The
> bodegas become boutiques.

I was telling some of my friends last night that unlike most other
places in America, NYC has block after block of stores where none of
them are chains. You can tell which areas are gentrified now - they have
store names you recognize. (Manhattan Ave in Greenpoint qualifies.) But
there are still wide swaths of ungentrified areas, of course.

Down at the waterfront, places like Huron, have that "feel unsafe to
outsiders" thing going, but they'll see "12 shady New Yorkers" instead
of the four different groups hanging out there with nothing in common.
Two guys were sitting in their car drinking beer. One guy had brought
his SUV there to wash the tires. A couple was sitting on a rock looking
through some papers. A woman was trying to catch a Canada goose in the
water. Three old Russian ladies were trying to feed birds with a bag
full of stale bread.
From: Robert Coe on
:
: After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
: almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two
: blocks over."
:
: I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
: wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
: continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in
: the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys
: then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
:
: http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB

Nice picture, but wouldn't it have worked better as a horizontal?

Bob
From: John Sheehy on
Marvin <physchem(a)verizon.net> wrote in news:NdDnk.573$ZV1.318(a)trnddc07:

> It is easy to tell when a neighborhood gentrifies in New
> York City. The bodegas become boutiques.

And you pay $1.75 for a 20 oz soda instead of $1.

--

John P Sheehy <JPS(a)no.komm>