From: ASAAR on
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:00:42 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

> Down at the waterfront, places like Huron, have that "feel unsafe to
> outsiders" thing going, but they'll see "12 shady New Yorkers" instead
> of the four different groups hanging out there with nothing in common.
> Two guys were sitting in their car drinking beer. One guy had brought
> his SUV there to wash the tires. A couple was sitting on a rock looking
> through some papers. A woman was trying to catch a Canada goose in the
> water. Three old Russian ladies were trying to feed birds with a bag
> full of stale bread.

Some relatives from CT and VA visited yesterday and took their
posse of kids to the Bronx Zoo. At first they were a little
apprehensive about my recommendation (is it safe?), but they
eventually *walked* to the zoo. Had a great time too, despite the
$8 or $9 Coca Colas.

From: Cynicor on
Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:17:50 -0400, Cynicor <truuupin(a)opt.i.m.um.net> wrote:
> : I went to see a friend's band last night in Brooklyn. Before I headed
> : over, I went down to the waterfront to take a couple of photos of
> : Manhattan. I went down a street right at the East River where I saw some
> : people congregated, and set up. There were older two guys sitting there
> : drinking beer and smoking.
> :
> : After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
> : almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two
> : blocks over."
> :
> : I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
> : wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
> : continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in
> : the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys
> : then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
> :
> : http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB
>
> Nice picture, but wouldn't it have worked better as a horizontal?

Not in this case, because my viewpoint was somewhat limited (I had a
warehouse just to my left and to the right of the frame that blocked a
wider view), and because I wanted to make the sky an integral part of
this photo. I can crop out the cirrus clouds if it makes you happy. :)
From: David J. Littleboy on

"Cynicor" <truuupin(a)opt.i.m.um.net> wrote:
> Robert Coe wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:17:50 -0400, Cynicor <truuupin(a)opt.i.m.um.net>
>> wrote:
>> : : http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB
>>
>> Nice picture, but wouldn't it have worked better as a horizontal?
>
> Not in this case, because my viewpoint was somewhat limited (I had a
> warehouse just to my left and to the right of the frame that blocked a
> wider view), and because I wanted to make the sky an integral part of this
> photo. I can crop out the cirrus clouds if it makes you happy. :)

You could crop it to square without losing much of the clouds. That might
work.

With more and more LCDs being widescreen nowadays, portrait orientation just
means that many of your viewers aren't seeing the whole image. Sigh.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

From: Cynicor on
David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Cynicor" <truuupin(a)opt.i.m.um.net> wrote:
>> Robert Coe wrote:
>>> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:17:50 -0400, Cynicor <truuupin(a)opt.i.m.um.net>
>>> wrote:
>>> : : http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB
>>>
>>> Nice picture, but wouldn't it have worked better as a horizontal?
>> Not in this case, because my viewpoint was somewhat limited (I had a
>> warehouse just to my left and to the right of the frame that blocked a
>> wider view), and because I wanted to make the sky an integral part of this
>> photo. I can crop out the cirrus clouds if it makes you happy. :)
>
> You could crop it to square without losing much of the clouds. That might
> work.
>
> With more and more LCDs being widescreen nowadays, portrait orientation just
> means that many of your viewers aren't seeing the whole image. Sigh.

That's too bad. I really like some of the effects I can get by using a
super-wide (11-18) held portrait.
From: Cynicor on
ASAAR wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:00:42 -0400, Cynicor wrote:
>
>> Down at the waterfront, places like Huron, have that "feel unsafe to
>> outsiders" thing going, but they'll see "12 shady New Yorkers" instead
>> of the four different groups hanging out there with nothing in common.
>> Two guys were sitting in their car drinking beer. One guy had brought
>> his SUV there to wash the tires. A couple was sitting on a rock looking
>> through some papers. A woman was trying to catch a Canada goose in the
>> water. Three old Russian ladies were trying to feed birds with a bag
>> full of stale bread.
>
> Some relatives from CT and VA visited yesterday and took their
> posse of kids to the Bronx Zoo. At first they were a little
> apprehensive about my recommendation (is it safe?), but they
> eventually *walked* to the zoo. Had a great time too, despite the
> $8 or $9 Coca Colas.

The Bronx Zoo is the PLACE. They even make it interesting in the winter.
I keep meaning to head up to the Botanical Gardens, but time gets away
from me etc.