From: RichA on

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne(a)Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message
> RichA wrote:
>> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne(a)Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message
>>> Don't top post.
>>>
>>> They need a 36x24 at 20 Mpix or more first. I don't suppose it occurs
>>> to you that their DSLR market is Nikon lens owners?
>>
>> No, because they all aren't. I know 3 people who recently bought into
>> Nikon that hadn't to that point owned anything of theirs. They buy in
>> because right now, it's the top system.
>
> Of course there are new customers. But Nikon's base is its existing
> customers (as it is for most businesses).
>
> Nikon is the top system? Don't think so. Canon is ahead of Nikon in most
> respects and have the advantage of their own fab.
>
> Nikon has legend inertia that overcomes some of that. Very good of
> course, but Canon is the top dog.
>
>>> It would be nice if they made an MF system, but it would take them a
>>> long time to establish themselves. At least they would likely be less
>>> costly than Hass and Leica. But v. Mamiya?
>>
>> Can we get away from this idea of "medium format" and "FF?" There IS no
>> more FF, it's a 70 year old construct. In five years, what is now a 35mm
>> sensor could be the entry level, with larger sensors representing the
>> "professional norm."
>
> No we can't get away from it.
>
> Lenses, not bodies, are what this is all about. And there are a mountain
> load of 35mm lenses out there. Image quality at 35mm FF is often better
> than the MF (6x6, 645, 6x7) that were the mainstay of professionals over
> the last 30 - 40 years. And the gear is certainly less cumbersome and
> more flexible as a system.

But it isn't good enough in some cases, hence larger sensors and their
cameras do exist. We got rid of film, old formats will die to.

From: Alan Browne on
RichA wrote:
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne(a)Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message
>> RichA wrote:
>>> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne(a)Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message

>>> No, because they all aren't. I know 3 people who recently bought into
>>> Nikon that hadn't to that point owned anything of theirs. They buy in
>>> because right now, it's the top system.
>> Of course there are new customers. But Nikon's base is its existing
>> customers (as it is for most businesses).
>>
>> Nikon is the top system? Don't think so. Canon is ahead of Nikon in most
>> respects and have the advantage of their own fab.
>>
>> Nikon has legend inertia that overcomes some of that. Very good of
>> course, but Canon is the top dog.

>>> Can we get away from this idea of "medium format" and "FF?" There IS no
>>> more FF, it's a 70 year old construct. In five years, what is now a 35mm
>>> sensor could be the entry level, with larger sensors representing the
>>> "professional norm."
>> No we can't get away from it.
>>
>> Lenses, not bodies, are what this is all about. And there are a mountain
>> load of 35mm lenses out there. Image quality at 35mm FF is often better
>> than the MF (6x6, 645, 6x7) that were the mainstay of professionals over
>> the last 30 - 40 years. And the gear is certainly less cumbersome and
>> more flexible as a system.
>
> But it isn't good enough in some cases, hence larger sensors and their
> cameras do exist. We got rid of film, old formats will die to.

DSLR's have been around for quite a while now. Only three things have
happened to format:

a) it got cut down to make it affordable in the early days
b) One company bet its fortunes on a new locked in format (Oly).
c) Three companies (ignoring Red One for now) have put out FF cameras.

And why is that? Because most DSLR owners are former FSLR owners and
they have lenses they want to keep. That sets the upper bound.

Typical of you to snip out the part of my reply that addressed this:

"" The more limited market for MF digital will always be there, but a
thick tier of pros will not go MF 'cause they won't need to to achieve
[that level of] quality. "" ..minor editing for clarity.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
From: John Sheehy on
"RichA" <obama(a)haslittletime.com> wrote in

> Nikon needs to step up more. 40 megapixels on a 45mm sensor.

That's ridiculous. They need to work with the image circle of existing
lenses.
From: P&S_Fan on
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 23:47:05 GMT, John Sheehy <JPS(a)no.komm> wrote:

>"RichA" <obama(a)haslittletime.com> wrote in
>
>> Nikon needs to step up more. 40 megapixels on a 45mm sensor.
>
>That's ridiculous. They need to work with the image circle of existing
>lenses.

Oh? Are you claiming that DSLR lenses are flawed? Say it can't be so.

LOL

(I'm not objecting, I'm sarcastically claiming that you are 100% correct.)

From: John Sheehy on
P&S_Fan <neville(a)noaddress.com> wrote in

> (I'm not objecting, I'm sarcastically claiming that you are 100%
> correct.)

Even with your explanation of sarcasm; I have no idea what you're saying.
My reference to the image circle is about vignetting which would occur with
35mm format lenses with a bigger sensor.