From: Ada novice on
On Aug 9, 7:23 pm, Michael R <mich...(a)zanyblue.com> wrote:
> I think the link to this new book should be
>
> http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521197168
>
> Take care,
> Michael.

Thanks for the link. As you pointed out, maybe Aunit is discussed
there. I couldn't find a detailed table of contents nor an index.
Maybe this is because the book is not yet out. Perhaps Prof. McCormick
would be kind to provide some more information on this forthcoming
book.

YC
From: Mark Lorenzen on
On 9 Aug., 19:05, John McCormick <mccorm...(a)cs.uni.edu> wrote:

> I'm very happy you have found my Ada textbooks useful!  It is always
> nice when someone notices a book author's name.  Feel free to contact
> me directly if you have any questions on the material in the books.
> The OO material in the data structures book is elementary.  Check out
> the Barnes or Ben-Ari books for an in depth treatment.  Should you
> want to go on to learn about Ada's concurrent features, I have a new
> book coming out at the end of the year: Building Parallel, Embedded,
> and Real-Time Applications with Ada,www.cambridge.org/9780521197168
> It is aimed at introducing the topics to novices with a background in
> sequential programming.

I would like to suggest also taking a look at "Concurrent and Real-
Time Programming in Ada" by Alan Burns and Andy Wellings.

- Mark L
From: John McCormick on
On Aug 10, 3:33 am, Ada novice <ycalleecha...(a)gmx.com> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 7:23 pm, Michael R <mich...(a)zanyblue.com> wrote:
>
> > I think the link to this new book should be
>
> >http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521197168
>
> > Take care,
> > Michael.
>
> Thanks for the link. As you pointed out, maybe Aunit is discussed
> there. I couldn't find a detailed table of contents nor an index.
> Maybe this is because the book is not yet out. Perhaps Prof. McCormick
> would be kind to provide some more information on this forthcoming
> book.
>
> YC

Sorry, nothing on AUnit in this book.
From: John McCormick on
On Aug 10, 4:45 am, Mark Lorenzen <mark.loren...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to suggest also taking a look at "Concurrent and Real-
> Time Programming in Ada" by Alan Burns and Andy Wellings.
>
> - Mark L

Excellent recommendation. The Burns and Wellings book is the ultimate
reference and guide to these topics. My copy is always within easy
reach and I keep the "prior edition", Concurrency in Ada, at home.
Like my forthcoming book, it is published by Cambridge University
Press. Both the publisher and I felt that the B & W book is too
difficult for novices. It was a real struggle for my Junior level
students with minimal Ada background to get through it. We look at
Building Parallel, Embedded, and Real-Time Applications with Ada as a
prerequisite for the authoratative B & W book.

John
From: Ada novice on
On Aug 9, 7:05 pm, John McCormick <mccorm...(a)cs.uni.edu> wrote:
> I'm very happy you have found my Ada textbooks useful!  It is always
> nice when someone notices a book author's name.  Feel free to contact
> me directly if you have any questions on the material in the books.
> The OO material in the data structures book is elementary.  Check out
> the Barnes or Ben-Ari books for an in depth treatment.  Should you
> want to go on to learn about Ada's concurrent features, I have a new
> book coming out at the end of the year: Building Parallel, Embedded,
> and Real-Time Applications with Ada,www.cambridge.org/9780521197168
> It is aimed at introducing the topics to novices with a background in
> sequential programming.

I do remember author names of books that have caught my attention :).
I have been looking at around 15 books (published since 1980) in Ada
and your two books are certainly very accessible to anyone wishing to
learn Ada well. I'm a PhD student in mechanical engineering wishing to
learn and use Ada for scientific numerical programming. So far, Ada
with its strong typing has enabled me to make much less mistakes than
I was doing earlier with C. And I have also learned a few aspects of
software engineering. As my interest is in scientific numerical
programming, only the first half or so of your Data Structures book is
relevant to me as I see it today. I wish that authors in future Ada
books to also focus a bit more on the numerics annex of Ada 05 and
give some useful examples which can help someone to build his/her
mathematical library.

I know Ben-Ari books. They are also well-written though at this
instant in time seem a bit advanced for me in some parts of the books.
Barnes' books are perhaps more challenging. What's make them
challenging in my opinion is the lack of complete examples but I
understand that complete examples would make less space for more
discussions. I'm not at this moment into concurrent features but I'm
certain that your forthcoming book will be pleasurable to read and I
would definitely read the book at some point in the future. Studying a
book on concurrency will in my opinion help to break one's habit of
always finding a solution using sequential logic that we tend to pick
up from other programming languages around and thus will surely help
to build better codes. I shall contact you directly if I have
questions relating to your books.

Thanks.
YC