From: Ada novice on
Hi, being a beginner in Ada and in software engineering, I came across
a textbook mentioning aunit for writing test drivers. I write quite
simple Ada programs and was wondering if it's worth to learn aunit and
use it even on simple programs. I understand that it can be a time-
saver.

Thanks

YC
From: Stephen Leake on
Ada novice <posts(a)gmx.us> writes:

> Hi, being a beginner in Ada and in software engineering, I came across
> a textbook mentioning aunit for writing test drivers. I write quite
> simple Ada programs and was wondering if it's worth to learn aunit and
> use it even on simple programs. I understand that it can be a time-
> saver.

Yes, it is a good way to organize your testing.

It will not save time initially, but it will definitely save time in the
long run.

--
-- Stephe
From: Ada novice on
On Aug 5, 2:07 pm, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org>
wrote:

> Yes, it is a good way to organize your testing.

I tried to look at the examples supplied in the aunit manual and they
aren't so straightforward to me. Are there other sources (on the web?)
that show how to use this testing tool? Or maybe I should just print
out the manual and read it carefully.

> It will not save time initially, but it will definitely save time in the
> long run.

It's definitely better in the long run to have good organization in
the codes and do things systematically in a proper way using a testing
tool such as aunit.

Thanks
YC
From: Tero Koskinen on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:29:05 -0700 (PDT) Ada novice wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2:07 pm, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes, it is a good way to organize your testing.
>
> I tried to look at the examples supplied in the aunit manual and they
> aren't so straightforward to me. Are there other sources (on the web?)
> that show how to use this testing tool? Or maybe I should just print
> out the manual and read it carefully.

AdaCommons wiki has a small article and an example:
http://www.adacommons.org/AUnit

http://www.adacommons.org/AUnit_Calculator_Example

The example is for AUnit 1.x. It most likely doesn't work out of the box
with AUnit 2.x or 3.x, since every AUnit major version has somewhat
different API.

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/
From: Ada novice on
On Aug 5, 8:18 pm, Tero Koskinen <tero.koski...(a)iki.fi> wrote:

> AdaCommons wiki has a small article and an example:http://www.adacommons.org/AUnit
>
> http://www.adacommons.org/AUnit_Calculator_Example
>
> The example is for AUnit 1.x. It most likely doesn't work out of the box
> with AUnit 2.x or 3.x, since every AUnit major version has somewhat
> different API.

Thanks. I did find this example earlier but the commands given there:

gnatmake -Pcalc
../harness -v

doesn't seem right. Though gnatmake -Pcalc is correct and works, I
don't understand what the additional "./harness " is for.

YC