From: "A.J. Rossini" on
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM, RolandRB <rolandberry(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> That Sweave looks very interesting. And I have found the "rreports"
> and "hmisc" packages which might do something like in powerpoint show.
> And R seems extendable so maybe I could write such "packages" that can
> produce the reports I want. And I like Latex for the formatting I like
> the idea of including the code that actually runs to produce what is
> in the document.It seems light years ahead of the current systems for
> producing clinical reports.

Look at the ODFweave package, which combined with Sun's ODF to MS
Office converts Sweave-style documents to MS Word or MS Powerpoint.

(or just use TeX/LaTeX, and the Sweave package combined with ones
favoritelatex/tex styles).

To bring this back to SAS, ODS should be able to do most of this,
however, it probably requires a similar level of processing (RTF
production rather than MS Word native format). Does anyone know?

--
best,
-tony

blindglobe(a)gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we
can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

Drink Coffee: Do stupid things faster with more energy!
From: RolandRB on
On Jun 30, 7:34 pm, blindgl...(a)GMAIL.COM ("A.J. Rossini") wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM, RolandRB <rolandbe...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > That Sweave looks very interesting. And I have found the "rreports"
> > and "hmisc" packages which might do something like in powerpoint show.
> > And R seems extendable so maybe I could write such "packages" that can
> > produce the reports I want. And I like Latex for the formatting I like
> > the idea of including the code that actually runs to produce what is
> > in the document.It seems light years ahead of the current systems for
> > producing clinical reports.
>
> Look at the ODFweave package, which combined with Sun's ODF to MS
> Office converts Sweave-style documents to MS Word or MS Powerpoint.
>
> (or just use TeX/LaTeX, and the Sweave package combined with ones
> favoritelatex/tex styles).
>
> To bring this back to SAS, ODS should be able to do most of this,
> however, it probably requires a similar level of processing (RTF
> production rather than MS Word native format).   Does anyone know?
>
> --
> best,
> -tony
>
> blindgl...(a)gmail.com
> Muttenz, Switzerland.
> "Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we
> can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).
>
> Drink Coffee: Do stupid things faster with more energy!

It seems that with R some good technology has gathered around it and
has become available only recently. It's early reading for me yet but
it seems like sas may well have been overtaken in the field of
clinical reporting for both processing and presentation. My early
analysis of the situation is that statisticians graduating from
college will be more R savvy than sas avvy and will be more productive
with R than with sas but they maybe lack the programming skills to get
the most out of the R language. But when they enter the industry they
will encounter a whole load of sas programmers and legacy sas-based
reporting systems which will be a block to them. What they might
rather see is programmers skilled in R who have built up reporting
software like the "rreport" package that can help carry them forward
in the R skills rather than push them back with sas. Trouble is I
guess the people with the R skills enough to write reporting packages
will be rare as it is only the statisticians who use R code and they
are more concerned with the stats side and can not put the time in on
the programming side and nor should they. That is for programmers to
do. Good programmers should be able to learn new languages and I see
it going the way that sas programmers will have to retrain in R to
help the new breed of statisticians graduating from college. I'll try
to do this but it will be hard for me as I am older (i.e. >50). But
then I taught myself shell scripting a few years back so maybe there
is life in the old dog yet.

The effect on the industry will be huge if R becomes the dominant
statistics language and from what I have heard, it already has. It
will be a major cost and effort to change over all procedures and
software to back up the statisticians to give them software that will
help them rather than hinder them. And it is they, not the
programmers, who should give direction in the field of clinical
reporting.

TeX or LaTeX seems to be able to produce nice output. It's seems
easier than learning about ODS and templates and styles and whatnot.

http://ftp.ktug.or.kr/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/ctable/ctable.pdf
From: Peter Flom on
RolandRB <rolandberry(a)HOTMAIL.COM> wrote

>TeX or LaTeX seems to be able to produce nice output. It's seems
>easier than learning about ODS and templates and styles and whatnot.

TeX and LaTeX kick serious butt.

With skill, you can produce *anything*. And it keeps on working forever (try running a 20 year old Word file....) and it works the same on IBM, Linux, Mac, mainframe and what-have-you.

Heck, I stink at programming and I like LaTeX. Programmers should like it even more.

Peter

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Statistical Consultant
www DOT peterflom DOT com
From: ajay ohri on
Hi List

I do use R on and off using the R gui's which help me speeden a lot of
modeling . You can click the *tag R* on www.decisionstats.com where I have
written on them.(tag cloud is on the right)

Take a look at the R GUI's , if u are thinking of transitioning.

learning R syntax is more painful due to sheer number of functions (than the
limited multi purpose procs available in SAS), but R online documentation
on the sites as well download mirrors make it easy to install appropriately.

as for reporting R graphics are definitely much superior, and I recommend
downloading the R GUI called rattle for anyone . Just install it , and use
it. The code gets auto generated so u learn basic R programming even fast.

Yes , the transition is quite painful but two weeks with the R gui and
search R web documentation can do a lot of work (merging/sorting big
datasets very very fast is still SAS 's plus point)

Regards,

Ajay
www.decisionstats.com

From: RolandRB on
On Jun 30, 8:48 pm, ohri2...(a)GMAIL.COM (ajay ohri) wrote:
> Hi List
>
> I do use R on and off using the R gui's which help me speeden a lot of
> modeling . You can click the *tag R* onwww.decisionstats.comwhere I have
> written on them.(tag cloud is on the right)
>
> Take a look at the R GUI's , if u are thinking of transitioning.
>
> learning R syntax is more painful due to sheer number of functions (than the
> limited multi purpose  procs available in SAS), but R online documentation
> on the sites as well download mirrors make it easy to install appropriately.
>
> as for reporting R graphics are definitely much superior, and I  recommend
> downloading the R GUI called rattle for anyone . Just install it , and use
> it. The code gets auto generated so u learn basic R programming even fast.
>
> Yes , the transition is quite painful but two weeks with the R gui and
> search R web documentation can do a lot of work (merging/sorting big
> datasets very very fast is still SAS 's plus point)

I can see your point. If sas is gone then data will still need
transforming and that will be huge amounts of data if lab data for
clinical trials. With no sas database then I guess it will be Oracle
or MySQL and the transformation done using SQL but I guess it can be
done. I am so used to using sas now that it will be hard but I've used
Basic and Cobol in the past and was able to do whatever I liked with
the data I was working on. I guess there is a way.

I wonder what statisticians fresh out of college and now working for
pharmas think about this. Do you prefer R and get forced down the sas
path? Would you prefer the programmers to help you with R rather than
giving you solutions using sas? Do you think sas is a dead language
for the analysis of clinical trials?