From: Mary on
Still, Excel is a powerful tool for "making things pretty", such as its =
conditional formatting capabilities. I do agree that things need to be =
reproducible; if one does things in Excel, one needs to learn Visual =
Basic and save code as modules. =20

-Mary
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Mary on
Maybe I'll take that statement back; I just discovered tagsets, just out of
the frustration of Proc Export dropping my formats on my variables I decided
to try it this afternoon, and was impressed!

Here's an example:

ods tagsets.excelxp file='C:\Work_Activities\crosstabs_results_new.xls'
style=statistical
options(sheet_name='agelt65_16vs3_nonsmoking');
run;
proc print noobs data=results;
run;
ods tagsets.excelxp close;
run;

I've also found a link explaining them at:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/base/ods/odsmarkup/excelxp_demo.html

-Mary

--
..signature necesse est
From: Mikko J Virtanen on
mlhoward(a)avalon.net (Mary) writes:
> Maybe I'll take that statement back; I just discovered tagsets, just out of
> the frustration of Proc Export dropping my formats on my variables I decided
> to try it this afternoon, and was impressed!

This indeed is very useful.

> Still, Excel is a powerful tool for "making things pretty", such as its
> conditional formatting capabilities. I do agree that things need to be
> reproducible; if one does things in Excel, one needs to learn Visual Basic
> and save code as modules.

My original point, if there ever was one, was that one should *learn*
to do everything via code. Editing by hand is sometimes OK, but as
soon as you need to repeat stuff or when you need to create
publication quality reports in a hurry, it will fail.

Doing with SAS is better than doing with VBA, as despite the pressure
from R and the like, SAS will probably exist much longer than
VBA. I've used SAS code older than Excel, rather recently. Written
originally on a platform that no longer exists. I revitalised an epi
project for 20yrs additional follow-up. No doubt it will be revitaised
again in 20yrs.

> -Mary

MJ;

--