From: Random on
On Mar 13, 6:06 pm, "Robert Crandal" <nob...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> So, is this just a simple C# compiler without a graphical interface
> similar to Visual C++ 6.0??

Yes, this is a compilier.

If you want a free IDE, you can check out Visual Studio Express
Edition:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/

From: Leslie Milburn on

"ScottMcP [MVP]" <scottmcp(a)mvps.org> wrote:

> No, it's Win32 newsgroups that are near-dead. Newbies to Windows
> programming have mostly switched to C# because MS gives away the
> compiler, but Win32 API programming in C and C++ is mostly discussed
> here:

> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads/

Scott,

Is there a newsgroup feed for that forum., I simply hate using a webbrowser
to read posts especially as I only have dialup access - yes some parts of
the world still do not have broadband access. :(

thanks
leslie.

From: alain on
ScottMcP [MVP] wrote:

> No, it's Win32 newsgroups that are near-dead. Newbies to Windows
> programming have mostly switched to C# because MS gives away the
> compiler, but Win32 API programming in C and C++ is mostly discussed
> here:
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads/

No.
These (Microsoft only) forums are not Win32 oriented at all, with no
skilled participants like those we can find on Usenet.
Most of beginners and kids do not know Usenet and only go on Web forums...

And yes, Win32 is dying.
From: Timo Kunze on
Am 14.03.2010 00:58, schrieb Robert Crandal:
> Microsoft really "gives away" the C# compiler?? Does that mean
> I can download it and use it for free?? I've always been an

Microsoft also offers the C/C++ compiler for free.

Timo
--
www.TimoSoft-Software.de - Unicode controls for VB6
"Those who sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither."
From: Robert Crandal on
If Win32 is dying, what will eventually be the popular choice
as replacement?? Will there be a Win64 or something??
Or maybe C# will be the fav??