From: Richard Heathfield on
Robert Crandal wrote:
> If Win32 is dying, what will eventually be the popular choice
> as replacement??

Linux.

<g,d&r>

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within
From: alain on
Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Robert Crandal wrote:
>> If Win32 is dying, what will eventually be the popular choice
>> as replacement??
>
> Linux.
> <g,d&r>

Not wrong :-)
As MS tries to impose C#, I, and many other people, moved to Unix-Linux...
From: Leslie Milburn on

"alain" <alain(a)lithium.be> wrote in message
>> Robert Crandal wrote:
>>> If Win32 is dying, what will eventually be the popular choice
>>> as replacement??
>>
>> Linux.
>> <g,d&r>
>
> Not wrong :-)
> As MS tries to impose C#, I, and many other people, moved to Unix-Linux...

The problem is not C# but its dependancy upon .NET. As a C programmer, I
actually prefer C# to C++, I think it is cleaner and more logical. BUT IMO
Microsoft's mistake is not offering a native C# compiler, they need to wake
up on this weakness.

Win32 will not die for an extremely long time yet (I'd say well over a
decade) because to radically alter or remove it will break too many
applications. In the real world many of us are still unable to utilise much
of the latest functionality (such as hidden groups in Listviews) because of
the need to support older versions of Windows. In fact only last year did we
finally drop support for pre-XP.

From: Robert Crandal on
I think only hardcore programmers or Computer Science
people will move to Unix-Linux. From my experience,
non-programmers dont give a damn about Linux. Not
everyone is a programmer. Plus, whenever you buy a
PC it almost always comes bundled with Windows Vista
or Windows 7, so the general public is typically exposed
to a Microsoft or Mac operating system.

So....since most general computer users seem to be exposed
to a Windows operated computer, I doubt Win32 will die
any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Linux too....I just cant'
ever picture my mom, dad or brothers ever wanting to use
it (cuz they are so accustomed to Windows)!

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

> This newsgroup seems to have less postings or questions from
> programmers than I remembered years ago. Does that mean that people
> have switched to a more common programming API and/or language???

Don't conflate the comparative decline of Usenet traffic relative to
half a decade ago, which is a general phenomenon across all newsgroups
(at least, all of the ones whose traffic I've looked at), with the
popularity of the subjects discussed in the newsgroups. Traffic levels
tell you nothing about the subjects. It should be fairly obvious that
there are a lot of factors affecting traffic levels (junk mail; reduced
levels of awareness of Usenet; increased availability of documentation;
the notion that a WWW search engine rather than a newsgroup is the first
port of call for answering a programming question; legal worries for
many companies that used to provide Usenet service; and the greater
popularity of other high-profile targets, such as Wikipedia, for
mischief-makers) that have nothing at all to do with the popularity of
the subjects at hand.