From: r_z_aret on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 05:02:34 GMT, "Leslie Milburn"
<CDB4W(a)NOSPAM.bigpond.com> wrote:

>"ScottMcP [MVP]" <scottmcp(a)mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> No, it's Win32 newsgroups that are near-dead. Newbies to Windows
>> programming have mostly switched to C# because MS gives away the
>> compiler, but Win32 API programming in C and C++ is mostly discussed
>> here:
>
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads/
>
>Scott,
>
>Is there a newsgroup feed for that forum., I simply hate using a webbrowser
>to read posts especially as I only have dialup access - yes some parts of
>the world still do not have broadband access. :(

This is a very sore point among older MVPs, who became MVPs largely
because of their newsgroup participation. They have been vocal on
private newsgroups. Microsoft has attempted some solutions that have
not been well received; I'm not sure what is public, so I won't say
more. Except that, so far, I don't think you're missing anything
useful.

>thanks
>leslie.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):
From: Serve Laurijssen on

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM>
schreef in bericht

>> This newsgroup seems to have less postings or questions from programmers
>> than I remembered years ago. Does that mean that people have switched to
>> a more common programming API and/or language???
>>
> Don't conflate the comparative decline of Usenet traffic relative to half
> a decade ago, which is a general phenomenon across all newsgroups

I'm convinced that as a beginner, learning win32 now is only useful for
educational purposes and not really practical no matter what the reason is
that usenet is on the decline.
You can do everything in win32 the hard(er) way or you can use a dotnet
language and do it the easy way

From: Michael Wojcik on
Serve Laurijssen wrote:

> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM>
> schreef in bericht
>> >

>>> This newsgroup seems to have less postings or questions from
>>> programmers than I remembered years ago. Does that mean that people
>>> have switched to a more common programming API and/or language???
>>>
>> Don't conflate the comparative decline of Usenet traffic relative to
>> half a decade ago, which is a general phenomenon across all newsgroups
>
> I'm convinced that as a beginner, learning win32 now is only useful for
> educational purposes and not really practical no matter what the reason
> is that usenet is on the decline.

Usenet is not declining. It's recovering (very, very slowly) from
Eternal September. In another twenty years it might be close to what
it was before AOL.

> You can do everything in win32 the hard(er) way or you can use a dotnet
> language and do it the easy way

What's the easy managed-code way to change a user's password?

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus
From: Arny on

On 14.04.2010 22:10, Serve Laurijssen wrote:

> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM>
> schreef in bericht
>> >

>>> This newsgroup seems to have less postings or questions from
>>> programmers than I remembered years ago. Does that mean that people
>>> have switched to a more common programming API and/or language???
>>>
>> Don't conflate the comparative decline of Usenet traffic relative to
>> half a decade ago, which is a general phenomenon across all newsgroups
>
> I'm convinced that as a beginner, learning win32 now is only useful for
> educational purposes and not really practical no matter what the reason
> is that usenet is on the decline.
> You can do everything in win32 the hard(er) way or you can use a dotnet
> language and do it the easy way

Just to make sure people who read posts here are not misguided by your
misleading post:
..NET is not a language. It's a platform. C#, VB, Delphi are languages.
Java is both a language and a platform...

When that is said. It must be clear as crystal that .NET != Win32. They
operate on different platforms( machines if you'd like). Therefore .NET
can't provide all the features of Win32. The point of .NET would be lost
if it did. You will have to import Win32 functions or use them through a
dll if you want to use the missing features.

I sense that you really only meant the creation of a GUI. Which is
truely a lot easier to design and maintain in a .NET project. But the
provided GUI API for .NET is just a subset of Win32.

Any .NET developer past the beginner level will realize the limitation
and eventually import Win32 functions to use them directly. At least at
this current version of .NET. The idea of .NET is to evolve into a
platform which provides close to everything a developer will need,
regardless of the hosting OS.

From the top of my head, how would you easily :
- get the handle of the foreground window
- implement interprocess communication
- use memory mapped files
- use systemwide hooks
- use highres timers
- draw on the desktop?
- create a custom WMI provider
- get free disk space
, in .NET without using win32 functions directly?

- RaZ