From: chris on
I'm wanting to replace my ageing home desktop with a new small machine
that I can leave on most of the time. It's for very basic email, web,
openoffice use with the occasional light photo editing. Eventually would
like to add audio streaming.

Something like this could be ideal:
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ION%20330.asp

My question is how much difference (better or worse) would I notice when
compared to my current athlon XP 2400+? In particular, is the iPlayer
cpu or gpu dependent.

Ideally, I want something that uses a minimum of power when idling, but
with enough grunt to do the above day-to-day stuff.

Or would it be more efficient to get a more powerful beast, but have it
sleeping/hibernating the majority of the time?

Sorry for the many variables, but I'm trying to sound out my ideas. Any
comments/pointers gratefully received.

Chris
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <h82ufn$10q$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm wanting to replace my ageing home desktop with a new small machine
>that I can leave on most of the time. It's for very basic email, web,
>openoffice use with the occasional light photo editing. Eventually would
>like to add audio streaming.
>
>Something like this could be ideal:
>http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ION%20330.asp
>
>My question is how much difference (better or worse) would I notice when
>compared to my current athlon XP 2400+? In particular, is the iPlayer
>cpu or gpu dependent.

I replaced my XP2400+ with an Intel Atom dual-core mobo some 6 months
back. Not really noticed much difference - mplayer still works, audio
is OK, X is fine too, but I don't do anything that demanding.

>Ideally, I want something that uses a minimum of power when idling, but
>with enough grunt to do the above day-to-day stuff.

My box idles at about 42 watts including a single SATA drive.

>Or would it be more efficient to get a more powerful beast, but have it
>sleeping/hibernating the majority of the time?
>
>Sorry for the many variables, but I'm trying to sound out my ideas. Any
>comments/pointers gratefully received.

Depends on what you do!

I found that idling the CPU doesn't make any difference at all. Get
suspend working for when you're not using it... Seems to work for my
Atom based netbook thing..

Gordon
From: Chris Whelan on
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:31:50 +0100, chris wrote:

> I'm wanting to replace my ageing home desktop with a new small machine
> that I can leave on most of the time. It's for very basic email, web,
> openoffice use with the occasional light photo editing. Eventually would
> like to add audio streaming.
>
> Something like this could be ideal:
> http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ION%20330.asp
>
> My question is how much difference (better or worse) would I notice when
> compared to my current athlon XP 2400+? In particular, is the iPlayer
> cpu or gpu dependent.
>
> Ideally, I want something that uses a minimum of power when idling, but
> with enough grunt to do the above day-to-day stuff.
>
> Or would it be more efficient to get a more powerful beast, but have it
> sleeping/hibernating the majority of the time?
>
> Sorry for the many variables, but I'm trying to sound out my ideas. Any
> comments/pointers gratefully received.
>
> Chris

My current everyday Internet machine is based on an Athlon XP3200. I've
been playing around with mini-itx hardware that uses an Atom 330.
Performance is very similar, and the Atom-based one would certainly cope
with what I mostly do.

The snag I have found is that the MB I am using has Intel graphics. These
are not great when using a Windows OS, and are poor with Linux. The
machine you have linked to would overcome that, and I'm sure would suit
your stated needs.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: chris on
Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <h82ufn$10q$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm wanting to replace my ageing home desktop with a new small machine
>> that I can leave on most of the time. It's for very basic email, web,
>> openoffice use with the occasional light photo editing. Eventually would
>> like to add audio streaming.
>>
>> Something like this could be ideal:
>> http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ION%20330.asp
>>
>> My question is how much difference (better or worse) would I notice when
>> compared to my current athlon XP 2400+? In particular, is the iPlayer
>> cpu or gpu dependent.
>
> I replaced my XP2400+ with an Intel Atom dual-core mobo some 6 months
> back. Not really noticed much difference - mplayer still works, audio
> is OK, X is fine too, but I don't do anything that demanding.

That sounds good. What did you go for mobo-wise? I'm liking the nVidia
Ion based stuff.

>> Ideally, I want something that uses a minimum of power when idling, but
>> with enough grunt to do the above day-to-day stuff.
>
> My box idles at about 42 watts including a single SATA drive.

Cool. I'm hoping the nVidia Ion implementation in the Asrock box above
will be even lower >-).

>> Or would it be more efficient to get a more powerful beast, but have it
>> sleeping/hibernating the majority of the time?
>>
>> Sorry for the many variables, but I'm trying to sound out my ideas. Any
>> comments/pointers gratefully received.
>
> Depends on what you do!

Clearly. I just need a low power, quiet PC which will let me do
everything I currently can on my athlon XP. Perhaps with a bit of extra
headroom. It needs to be cheap too.

> I found that idling the CPU doesn't make any difference at all. Get
> suspend working for when you're not using it... Seems to work for my
> Atom based netbook thing..

Really? All the benchmarks I've seen show a significant drop in
consumption when idling the PC.
From: chris on
Chris Whelan wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:31:50 +0100, chris wrote:
>
>> I'm wanting to replace my ageing home desktop with a new small machine
>> that I can leave on most of the time. It's for very basic email, web,
>> openoffice use with the occasional light photo editing. Eventually would
>> like to add audio streaming.
>>
>> Something like this could be ideal:
>> http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ION%20330.asp
>>
>> My question is how much difference (better or worse) would I notice when
>> compared to my current athlon XP 2400+? In particular, is the iPlayer
>> cpu or gpu dependent.
>>
>> Ideally, I want something that uses a minimum of power when idling, but
>> with enough grunt to do the above day-to-day stuff.
>>
>> Or would it be more efficient to get a more powerful beast, but have it
>> sleeping/hibernating the majority of the time?
>>
>> Sorry for the many variables, but I'm trying to sound out my ideas. Any
>> comments/pointers gratefully received.
>>
>> Chris
>
> My current everyday Internet machine is based on an Athlon XP3200. I've
> been playing around with mini-itx hardware that uses an Atom 330.
> Performance is very similar, and the Atom-based one would certainly cope
> with what I mostly do.
>
> The snag I have found is that the MB I am using has Intel graphics. These
> are not great when using a Windows OS, and are poor with Linux. The
> machine you have linked to would overcome that, and I'm sure would suit
> your stated needs.

That was the plan in getting an nVidia based chipset as from all I've
read the Intel implementation is v. poor. Surprisingly!

Thanks very much for the feedback.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Ogg in Firefox