From: Folderol on
Recent versions of firefox always try to play ogg files (and seem to
think they are videos) even though I have *all* options set to 'Always
Ask'. Anyone know how to defeat this and regain control?

--
Will J G
From: Folderol on
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 12:49:03 +0100
Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <20090904232535.6ebda23c(a)debian>,
> Folderol wrote:
> > Recent versions of firefox always try to play ogg files (and seem to
> > think they are videos) even though I have *all* options set to 'Always
> > Ask'. Anyone know how to defeat this and regain control?
>
> Right click and "Save link as..."

Nope. It won't let you do that either.

--
Will J G
From: Sheridan Hutchinson on
Folderol wrote:
> Recent versions of firefox always try to play ogg files (and seem to
> think they are videos) even though I have *all* options set to 'Always
> Ask'. Anyone know how to defeat this and regain control?

It could be a configuration quirk. Have you tried moving your .firefox
out of the way temporarily and seeing what the defaults do?

--
Regards,
Sheridan Hutchinson

From: Folderol on
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 01:05:32 +0100
Sheridan Hutchinson <Sheridan(a)Shezza.org> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
> > Recent versions of firefox always try to play ogg files (and seem to
> > think they are videos) even though I have *all* options set to 'Always
> > Ask'. Anyone know how to defeat this and regain control?
>
> It could be a configuration quirk. Have you tried moving your .firefox
> out of the way temporarily and seeing what the defaults do?

That actually makes things worse! I end up with mp3 also auto-running,
even though I set all the mp3 and ogg variants to 'Always Ask'

However, I've narrowed it down a bit. It seems to depend on the tupe of
link.

If it is an absolute standard:
http://www.thissite.com/thispage/thistune.ogg
Then that is when I have a problem, however if it is one of those funny
php script links than many webforums use then it behaves correctly.

I would have expected it to be the other way round :o

--
Will J G
From: Folderol on
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 11:13:24 +0100
Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <20090905233909.4de63c6c(a)debian>,
> Folderol wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 12:49:03 +0100
> > Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk> wrote:

> >> Right click and "Save link as..."
>
> > Nope. It won't let you do that either.
>
> CTRL-I, then find the Vorbis file in the list of media, perhaps?
>
> Can you give us an example page?

On my own site, which is (old) pure hand coded html+css the problem
occurs.

This is really, really, strange. I just cross-checked and I'm getting
the same behaviour from opera???

--
Will J G
http://www.musically.me.uk