From: Folderol on
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 00:34:33 +0100
Andy Botterill <andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 22:01:59 +0100
> > alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Well, it now looks very much like some screw-up in the local mime
> > database. Looking at Opera, I found multiple entries for .ogg and it was
> > necessary to edit *all* of them before I got the action I wanted.
> > However, Firefox one shows one entry, so presumably it's one of the
> > 'hidden' entries that is being picked up.
> >

> > Suggestions welcome!
> >
> Appendix B on this page discusses something similar.
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/psm/smime_guide.html#troubleshooting
>
> This comments and a work around.
> I hope this helps. Andy

This doesn't seem to be the source of the problem - thanks anyway.

--
Will J G
From: Folderol on
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 00:26:06 +0000 (UTC)
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 23:31:05 +0100, Folderol wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 22:01:59 +0100
> > alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Perhaps it depends on the mimetype sent by the server?
> >
> > Well, it now looks very much like some screw-up in the local mime
> > database. Looking at Opera, I found multiple entries for .ogg and it was
> > necessary to edit *all* of them before I got the action I wanted.
> > However, Firefox one shows one entry, so presumably it's one of the
> > 'hidden' entries that is being picked up.
> >
> I just had a similar fight with Opera, only I wanted it to use vlc for
> AVI files, instead of Totem. I too had to edit all three entries, but at
> least it found and showed me all three. Looks like FF does the same, but
> with the improvement that its default AVI viewer actually shows the file.

Unfortunately firefox won't show the extra filetypes so there is no way
I can set them as 'Always Ask'!

It just got stranger!
I fired up an old version of firefox 3.1 and it worked exactly as it
should. Only 3.5 has the problem.

Stranger still.
I've just discovered that neither of these recognise VLC for
streaming audio and keep wanting to use Real as the default player.
Opera has no problem at all.

I'm getting seriously pissed off with firefox these days and am
considering dumping it.

--
Will J G
From: Ian on
On 13 Sep, 21:39, Folderol <folde...(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:

> I'm getting seriously pissed off with firefox these days and am
> considering dumping it.

Firefox seems to be plagued with developers who (a) include stuff for
the technical hell of it, regardless of desirability and (b) have odd
and strong ideas about what users should be doing.

Ian
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 00:26:06 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> I just had a similar fight with Opera, only I wanted it to use vlc for
> AVI files, instead of Totem. I too had to edit all three entries, but at
> least it found and showed me all three. Looks like FF does the same,
> but with the improvement that its default AVI viewer actually shows the
> file.

Update: next time I fired up FF (3.0.13) it wouldn't play the same AVI
file until I told it to use vlc. I don't think I did anything drastically
different than last time.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:39:25 +0100, Folderol wrote:

> I'm getting seriously pissed off with firefox these days and am
> considering dumping it.

There's only one thing that it does better than Opera 10 - its default
fit to window trick with large images and the associate click to expand
and centre the clicked point.

OTOH Opera 10 has its own annoying trick: periodically, after suspending
and restarting Fedora, it forgets that it was working online. Once this
happens, the only recovery is the shut Opera down and restart it.

I'm still running Opera in preference to FF though.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK