From: Howard Brazee on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 16:37:37 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>I was having a discussion with some other developers who use Microsoft
>Platforms and this question came up. Most of the guys who have been writing
>code for more than 10 years see no need to get certified.

Although a fair amount are certifiable.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 16:37:37 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>My personal belief about this is that is caused by the lack of self
>discipline we see reflected in society. In countries like Israel where young
>people do military service and learn, self-confidence, leadership and
>discipline they go on to achieve more. Here in NZ we have a generation of
>parents who never understood what discipline means (many people equate
>discipline incorrectly with punishment) and so they over-indulge their kids
>and we have a generation who expect to have everything they want, right now.

Most generations have the same complaints. This observation has
been made throughout recorded history.

- James Madison
From: Anonymous on
In article <cckvv5lcr6hbkuiah32cms5o5lvvs2a5pm(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:49:53 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>
>>Who cares if you can't read the stuff if you don't have to?
>>Who cares about efficiency when your wristwatch has more computing power
>>than did the early space flights?
>
>One thing that I have in common with the young people - I don't wear a
>wristwatch.

I guess I was just ahead of my time. I didn't wear a wristwatch for a bit
more than two decades... and then, all of a sudden, I saw one of the
Russian Watches-of-State (an Orion, I believe) with a skeletal movement.
Caught my eye and found its way on my wrist.

I also didn't carry a pen or a briefcase for those decades, either.

DD

From: Alistair Maclean on
On May 28, 2:45 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <868vkhFvi...(a)mid.individual.net>,
>
> Pete Dashwood <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> >SkippyPB wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I take pride in my programs but many of the
> >> younger folks I work with do not take pride in theirs.  They don't
> >> care about efficiency of code; they don't care that they could easily
> >> reduce redundancy; they don't care if the 5 deep nested IF is hard to
> >> read etc. etc.
>
> [snip]
>
> >My personal belief about this is that is caused by the lack of self
> >discipline we see reflected in society. In countries like Israel where young
> >people do military service and learn, self-confidence, leadership and
> >discipline they go on to achieve more. Here in NZ we have a generation of
> >parents who never understood what discipline means (many people equate
> >discipline incorrectly with punishment) and so they over-indulge their kids
> >and we have a generation who expect to have everything they want, right now.
> >Consequently, we find people with credit card debt of  tens of thousands of
> >dollars by the time they are in their mid-twenties, an expectation of
> >instant gratification, the attention span of a flea, and the attitude that
> >if something is difficult, move on to something else...
>
> Note, class, the reflective calls of species-reinforcement of the
> Grey-Chested Olde Farte, almost identical to those of the Golfcap-Sporting
> Hyperannuated Duffer.  In such cases one member of the species asserts its
> identity by warbling a series of tones bemoaning the passing of the Oldene
> Dayse; the other member, in order to demonstrate the solidarity of kindred
> genetics, responds in a contrapunctal fashion and extends the first's
> melody to another set of conditions which both feel reinforces their own
> membership in what Durkheim called 'the we-group'.  This is noted on page
> 125 of your text 'Gammers, Gaffers, Geezers and What You May Live Long
> Enough To Become'.
>
> While the specifics of the calls vary the tonality and
> concept-transmission remains remarkably constant, a 'Why, when *I* was a
> lad (situation) was (superior) and nowadays kids are too
> stupid/incompetent/lazy to sit down to defecate.'  Examples of this
> behavior can be found in the works of Homer.

Reference(s) please.

From: Alistair Maclean on
On May 28, 3:23 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:49:53 +0000 (UTC), docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> >Who cares if you can't read the stuff if you don't have to?
> >Who cares about efficiency when your wristwatch has more computing power
> >than did the early space flights?
>
> One thing that I have in common with the young people - I don't wear a
> wristwatch.    I've got a phone in my pocket, so why do I need a watch
> on my wrist?

In case the phone in your pocket falls out and breaks. You could just
ask a passer-bye but then where would you find one at 03:42 a.m.?