From: Alistair Maclean on
On May 28, 3:27 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:

> >It's a bit like someone claiming to be an astronaut because they once
> >visited the Kennedy Space Centre... :-)
>
> Hmmm,  at least have them be a pilot.   Visiting the Kennedy Space
> Center is more like turning on one's computer.
>
> (I was a pilot, and I've ridden the vomit comet, so let me make that
> outrageous claim).

I presume they clean it between flights but I can't help but think
that the stench of puke would persist. Does it smell? (the vomit comet
and not puke).

From: Alistair Maclean on
On May 28, 3:29 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2010 16:37:37 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
>
> <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >I was having a discussion with some other developers who use Microsoft
> >Platforms and this question came up. Most of the guys who have been writing
> >code for more than 10 years see no need to get certified.
>
> Although a fair amount are certifiable.

If I were paranoid I might think that you were getting at me.
From: Anonymous on
In article <6bf51071-e107-41f6-aa30-332944ad8000(a)u7g2000vbq.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair Maclean <alistair.j.l.maclean(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>If I were paranoid I might think that you were getting at me.

That's *just* what They want you to do, Mr Maclean.

DD

From: Anonymous on
In article <f1195542-841c-4daf-bb44-fa0db216a03f(a)c13g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair Maclean <alistair.j.l.maclean(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>On May 28, 2:45?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article <868vkhFvi...(a)mid.individual.net>,
>>
>> Pete Dashwood <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>> >SkippyPB wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> [snip]
>>
>> >My personal belief about this is that is caused by the lack of self
>> >discipline we see reflected in society. In countries like Israel where young
>> >people do military service and learn, self-confidence, leadership and
>> >discipline they go on to achieve more. Here in NZ we have a generation of
>> >parents who never understood what discipline means (many people equate
>> >discipline incorrectly with punishment) and so they over-indulge their kids
>> >and we have a generation who expect to have everything they want, right now.
>> >Consequently, we find people with credit card debt of ?tens of thousands of
>> >dollars by the time they are in their mid-twenties, an expectation of
>> >instant gratification, the attention span of a flea, and the attitude that
>> >if something is difficult, move on to something else...
>>
>> Note, class, the reflective calls of species-reinforcement of the
>> Grey-Chested Olde Farte, almost identical to those of the Golfcap-Sporting
>> Hyperannuated Duffer. ?In such cases one member of the species asserts its
>> identity by warbling a series of tones bemoaning the passing of the Oldene
>> Dayse; the other member, in order to demonstrate the solidarity of kindred
>> genetics, responds in a contrapunctal fashion and extends the first's
>> melody to another set of conditions which both feel reinforces their own
>> membership in what Durkheim called 'the we-group'. ?This is noted on page
>> 125 of your text 'Gammers, Gaffers, Geezers and What You May Live Long
>> Enough To Become'.
>>
>> While the specifics of the calls vary the tonality and
>> concept-transmission remains remarkably constant, a 'Why, when *I* was a
>> lad (situation) was (superior) and nowadays kids are too
>> stupid/incompetent/lazy to sit down to defecate.' ?Examples of this
>> behavior can be found in the works of Homer.
>
>Reference(s) please.

The reference is plain, Mr Maclean. See Book V of the Iliad and notice
the description of the stone lifted by the son of Tydeus.

DD

From: SkippyPB on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 08:23:50 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:49:53 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>
>>Who cares if you can't read the stuff if you don't have to?
>>Who cares about efficiency when your wristwatch has more computing power
>>than did the early space flights?
>
>One thing that I have in common with the young people - I don't wear a
>wristwatch. I've got a phone in my pocket, so why do I need a watch
>on my wrist?

OH Howard, you are soooo modern ;)

Regards,
--

////
(o o)

"It's not getting any smarter out there, people. You have to come to
terms with stupidity and make it work for you."
-- Frank Zappa

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve