From: Folderol on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:06:47 +0000
Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet(a)cenderis.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> writes:
>
> > Or does anyone else think that many of the latest versions of common
> > applications are much harder to use than before?
> > kwrite
> > krename
> > k3b
> > Are the first few that spring to mind :(
>
> Emacs 23 is better than its predecessors, for what it's worth.

There is always one! :)

--
Will J G
From: Folderol on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 22:02:01 +0000
"Simon J. Rowe" <srowe(a)mose.org.uk> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
>
> > Or does anyone else think that many of the latest versions of common
> > applications are much harder to use than before?
> > kwrite
> > krename
> > k3b
> > Are the first few that spring to mind :(
>
> No, amarok 2 is completely useless and almost unusable compared with 1.4. I
> can't say I've had any problems with k3b though.
>
> Simon

The latest version of k3b doesn't seem to have the bottom layout of
quick entries for CD & DVD image files, and hunting for these through
the menus is less than intuitive (to put it mildly).

Incidentally I tried the new burner on the latest ubunto release and
gave up in the end - for the same reason.

I'm not a KDE user as such, but those apps have always been the best
for me.

kwrite now uses a small dialogue box at the bottom of the page for
things like 'find' entries, so you seem to keep having to scan up and
down. It also means you have to have the whole page visible, not just
the bit you're working on.

krename now has a multi-tabbed system which is far less intuitive for
quick 'n dirty bulk renaming.

--
Will J G
From: Chris Whelan on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:44:41 +0000, Folderol wrote:

[...]

> The latest version of k3b doesn't seem to have the bottom layout of
> quick entries for CD & DVD image files, and hunting for these through
> the menus is less than intuitive (to put it mildly).

As with earlier versions of K3b, you just right-click on the lower area
and select what you want to appear from an Add Button menu. All that has
changed is the default selection.

Now the stability of KDE4 is more realistically stable I'm trying to get
to like it. I'm still finding some things I don't like, and the changes
to Amarok have ruined it!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: Nix on
On 31 Oct 2009, Bruce Stephens outgrape:

> Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> writes:
>
>> Or does anyone else think that many of the latest versions of common
>> applications are much harder to use than before?
>> kwrite
>> krename
>> k3b
>> Are the first few that spring to mind :(
>
> Emacs 23 is better than its predecessors, for what it's worth.

Yeah, the butterfly is really useful. (Yes, really.)
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Folderol chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

> kwrite now uses a small dialogue box at the bottom of the page for
> things like 'find' entries, so you seem to keep having to scan up and
> down.

Have to disagree with you there - I can't stand popup windows!

> It also means you have to have the whole page visible, not just the bit you're
> working on.

Not sure what you mean there. Just tested it here and it searches fine
regardless of how much of the page is visible.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
09:57:15 up 14 days, 7:06, 4 users, load average: 0.44, 0.27, 0.17

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Crash/reboot at boot.
Next: OPEN A SECRET