From: FP on
On 05/11/2009 00:20, Nix wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2009, Frank Peelo spake thusly:
>

>>alexd wrote:
>>
>>>Have to disagree with you there - I can't stand popup windows!
>>
>>Yes, I'm surprised more editors don't do it this way. I bought EditPad
>>Pro, years ago, on Windows, and it uses this idea. So you don't have a
>>dialogue box hiding the text that you're trying to search, getting in
>>the way. Far better to have it out of the way at the bottom. Should
>>have taken over the world by now.
>

> Emacs has done this since the 1970s. Since a bunch of very popular
> wordprocessors descended fairly directly from Emacs (notably WordStar,
> at I think a two-generation remove), it's suprising that the avoid-dialogs
> isearch-is-king idea fell so much into abeyance.

Wordstar is descended from emacs? Interesting. I came across both when a
student, twentysomething years ago on the ACT Sirius 1. Had no problem
using Wordstar. Couldn't get my head around emacs. Least I think it was
emacs. Now that I have Vile (a cut-down emacsish editor) on my Psion 5,
I really should get around to learning it... don't seem to have the
time, though. And the Psion screen is getting quite hard to read, but
that's probably just old age.

FP
From: Nix on
On 10 Nov 2009, FP outgrape:

> On 05/11/2009 00:20, Nix wrote:
>> On 3 Nov 2009, Frank Peelo spake thusly:
>>
>>>Yes, I'm surprised more editors don't do it this way. I bought EditPad
>>>Pro, years ago, on Windows, and it uses this idea. So you don't have a
>>>dialogue box hiding the text that you're trying to search, getting in
>>>the way. Far better to have it out of the way at the bottom. Should
>>>have taken over the world by now.
>> Emacs has done this since the 1970s. Since a bunch of very popular
>> wordprocessors descended fairly directly from Emacs (notably WordStar,
>> at I think a two-generation remove), it's suprising that the avoid-dialogs
>> isearch-is-king idea fell so much into abeyance.
>
> Wordstar is descended from emacs? Interesting. I came across both when

I think so, though I can't be sure where I got the info from (email from
JWZ, perhaps, many years ago). Old and faded memory, maay be wrong :)

> a student, twentysomething years ago on the ACT Sirius 1. Had no
> problem using Wordstar. Couldn't get my head around emacs. Least I
> think it was emacs.

It's just like WordStar except the keybindings are different and it's
far more customizable (and far more user-hostile unless you customize
it, I must have ten thousand lines of elisp customizing mine now).

> Now that I have Vile (a cut-down emacsish editor)
> on my Psion 5, I really should get around to learning it... don't seem
> to have the time, though. And the Psion screen is getting quite hard
> to read, but that's probably just old age.

I suspect Psion 5s have way little memory. Wikipedia says 4--16Mb, which
is seriously pushing it for Emacs: it needs 10Mb or so just to start
up. By modern standards Emacs is quite trim (certainly compared to hogs
like Eclipse), but that still means 50--100Mb if heavily used. If you're
using something like Gnus the memory usage goes way up (my XEmacs is
using 417Mb right now and I've seen it in the 800Mb range before).
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Crash/reboot at boot.
Next: OPEN A SECRET