From: Bit Twister on
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:20:52 +1100, Grant wrote:

> The safe way is to run Linux (or *BSD) on the Internet facing box,
> isolates poor defenceless windows from the big bad Internet ;)

That helps more ways than one. Criminals are cracking into the router
from user's browser. :(

Criminals attacking systems from the Internet side went out with
diskettes. You need firewall for protection from worms and script kiddies.
Criminals are cracking the system using the apps running on the system.

> I wouldn't connect windows direct to DSL modem -- only reason people

Isn't that the truth. Poor fools who get an infection, format, install
XP cd are infected before they can get the service pack downloaded. :(
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:20:52 +1100, Grant wrote:
>> I wouldn't connect windows direct to DSL modem -- only reason people
>
> Isn't that the truth. Poor fools who get an infection, format, install
> XP cd are infected before they can get the service pack downloaded. :(

You do realize that the Windows Firewall is enabled by default since XP
SP2 (and could be switched on manually ever since XP RTM), don't you?

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: Leythos on
In article <7kk1qfF3830tkU1(a)mid.individual.net>, usenet-2009
@planetcobalt.net says...

> Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:20:52 +1100, Grant wrote:
> >> I wouldn't connect windows direct to DSL modem -- only reason people
> >
> > Isn't that the truth. Poor fools who get an infection, format, install
> > XP cd are infected before they can get the service pack downloaded. :(
>
> You do realize that the Windows Firewall is enabled by default since XP
> SP2 (and could be switched on manually ever since XP RTM), don't you?

And you realize that in almost every residential pc I've seen, that file
and printer sharing is enabled on computers connected directly to the
internet?

Trust yourself.
From: userid on
Grant wrote:
> For the OP, I doubt any software in windows is the answer -- the answer
> lies in a decent, separate firewall box between windows and the 'net.

That's ok, I understand it. But what about when web browsing session in
a public wifi spot? It's something that happens ever more often, at
least to me
From: Grant on
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:04:15 +0100, userid <userid(a)domain.invalid> wrote:

>Grant wrote:
>> For the OP, I doubt any software in windows is the answer -- the answer
>> lies in a decent, separate firewall box between windows and the 'net.
>
>That's ok, I understand it. But what about when web browsing session in
>a public wifi spot? It's something that happens ever more often, at
>least to me

If you have a decent laptop consider running a vm for browsing the
'net -- after the session you can revert to the snapshot vm file
and the machine will totally forget the session.

You can still download files to the host system via shared folders,
and these can have username/password protection on the share.

Also, the browser vm could be a lightweight Linux distro with
browsers and whatever you need.

Would give you some isolation between main system and the 'net?

I haven't tried this, just seems an avenue worth thinking about.
The vmware site has free vmware-player and a safe web browsing vm
available for download -- I've not used it. There's other vm
stuff kicking around too you could try.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au