From: userid on
My basic setup (Xp) include the use of LUA, disabling unnecessary
networking service, windows firewall and an antivirus.
My pc is running smoothly so I assume I'm safe. But, is this a safe
assumption? Or I just can't see what's happening?
I mean, there's a lot of talking and writing about unsafe browsing, web
site forgeries etc. that you can't but feel unprotected.
My point is: is it still enough this basic setup or do we now need a
security suite?

Thanks,
-FG
From: geoar75 on
Hi,

As long a client is connected to the internet or to an intranet,
security software or hardware is critical.
You may need protection even when your computer is not connected to
any network. Viruses, trojans and malware may access your computer
using removable media, such as CDs, DVDs, USB flash drives etc.

Good luck,

Giorgos

--

NetPros Community
http://netpros.freeforums.org

From: Bit Twister on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:05:53 +0100, userid wrote:
> My basic setup (Xp) include the use of LUA, disabling unnecessary
> networking service,

Basic security is disable ALL unnecessary services.

> windows firewall and an antivirus. My pc is running smoothly so I
> assume I'm safe. But, is this a safe assumption?

Absolutely not.

> Or I just can't see what's happening?

Entirely possible.

> I mean, there's a lot of talking and writing about unsafe browsing, web
> site forgeries etc. that you can't but feel unprotected.

I can relate with that.

> My point is: is it still enough this basic setup or do we now need a
> security suite?

Heheheh, you need security armor. :-(

Just for fun, click Malware Outbreak for latest antivirus malware
email detection time at http://www.commtouch.com/security-center

How is your current detection rate for your AV product?

Last review I saw, this year, indicated detection was 98% for best
Security suite at that time.

Last stats I saw was 4 to 6 weeks between new malware program to
Anti-malware Vendor protection.

Last stats I saw from one security vendor was they get 1500 new
malware programs a day.

Click up your calculator

1500 x days_in_year x 2% = Undetected malware with about a month
of no protection before AV Suite can save you from the new malware
they "can catch" for their product.

My solution, run Linux as my Operating System.
From: userid on
Bit Twister wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:05:53 +0100, userid wrote:
>> My basic setup (Xp) include the use of LUA, disabling unnecessary
>> networking service,
>
> Basic security is disable ALL unnecessary services.

Is there any list to refer to?

>> My point is: is it still enough this basic setup or do we now need a
>> security suite?
>
> Heheheh, you need security armor. :-(
>
> Just for fun, click Malware Outbreak for latest antivirus malware
> email detection time at http://www.commtouch.com/security-center
>
> How is your current detection rate for your AV product?
>
> Last review I saw, this year, indicated detection was 98% for best
> Security suite at that time.
>
> Last stats I saw was 4 to 6 weeks between new malware program to
> Anti-malware Vendor protection.
>
> Last stats I saw from one security vendor was they get 1500 new
> malware programs a day.

Apparently, Comodo offers a whitelisting of about two million programs.
If it were a way of checking the integrity of your system, why not? It
sounds like a good idea to me.

> My solution, run Linux as my Operating System.

That was something I have thought to. In fact, I have a dual boot system
but I've read that some repositories have recently been compromised so
second thought are allowed..
From: Grant on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:05:35 +0100, userid <userid(a)domain.invalid> wrote:

>Bit Twister wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:05:53 +0100, userid wrote:
>>> My basic setup (Xp) include the use of LUA, disabling unnecessary
>>> networking service,
>>
>> Basic security is disable ALL unnecessary services.
>
>Is there any list to refer to?
>
>>> My point is: is it still enough this basic setup or do we now need a
>>> security suite?
>>
>> Heheheh, you need security armor. :-(
>>
>> Just for fun, click Malware Outbreak for latest antivirus malware
>> email detection time at http://www.commtouch.com/security-center
>>
>> How is your current detection rate for your AV product?
>>
>> Last review I saw, this year, indicated detection was 98% for best
>> Security suite at that time.
>>
>> Last stats I saw was 4 to 6 weeks between new malware program to
>> Anti-malware Vendor protection.
>>
>> Last stats I saw from one security vendor was they get 1500 new
>> malware programs a day.
>
>Apparently, Comodo offers a whitelisting of about two million programs.
>If it were a way of checking the integrity of your system, why not? It
>sounds like a good idea to me.
>
> > My solution, run Linux as my Operating System.
>
>That was something I have thought to. In fact, I have a dual boot system
> but I've read that some repositories have recently been compromised so
>second thought are allowed..

The safe way is to run Linux (or *BSD) on the Internet facing box,
isolates poor defenceless windows from the big bad Internet ;)

I wouldn't connect windows direct to DSL modem -- only reason people
mostly survive it is that most (A)DSL modems block incoming by default.

Trojans and vrus files are 'invited' onto the PC by the user, bypassing
the firewall -- but a good firewall can detect and limit damage if you
catch a botnet illness.

For the OP, I doubt any software in windows is the answer -- the answer
lies in a decent, separate firewall box between windows and the 'net.

Works for me :)

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au